A musicians surprising opinion about "death vox"

Yeah Joe, its not like he is building a melody though. Its more like his voice naturally wants to fit those harmonics. But....a chainsaw can still do that. So...I win.

Braighs said:
Yeah Joe, its not like he is building a melody though. Its more like his voice naturally wants to fit those harmonics. But....a chainsaw can still do that. So...I win.

mmmm, i dunno. i think that its intentional. when i really make an effort to block out the distortion of the growl, there is a pitch there. he might not have intended that melody to be there, but i can definetely hear it. the more i listen, the more it becomes clear.

the next line is "twisted perception...(something)" it changes drastically. he is bending the pitch, not just the intensity of his crackle.

Braighs said:

a chainsaw also has a pitch, which is altered when you use the throttle. so, the operator of the chainsaw could build a chainsaw melody.

and, it seems to me like its intentional. the notes that he is hitting may not be intentional....but he is holding a constant pitch. when he says "twisted perception," there is a noticeable difference. he doesn't hold a pitch, he more or less speaks it.

GlassSandwich said:
I can easily block out singing. Or anything for that matter. It isn't hard.
Its funny, because you're a dumbass.

You can tell your brain what types of sound to pick up and react to, and what types of sound to block out?

JoeVice said:
a chainsaw also has a pitch, which is altered when you use the throttle. so, the operator of the chainsaw could build a chainsaw melody.

See: Jackyl's "The Lumberjack". Chainsaw solo. :kickass:

I compared it to a chainsaw because its pitch is determined by the throtle/density of wood being cut - which could be an analogy to whatever the band is doning at that time.

But I do feel silly arguing whethr it is intentional. It works. So s'all good.

blimey said:

You can tell your brain what types of sound to pick up and react to, and what types of sound to block out?

Musicians often HAVE TO be able to do this. As well as audio engineers. It's a skill, and you have to practice it to be good at it.

blimey said:

its not a matter of literally blocking it out...like, not even perceiving the vibrations as sound...but just heavily focussing your attention on a specific instrument or group of instruments.

Braighs said:
I compared it to a chainsaw because its pitch is determined by the throtle/density of wood being cut - which could be an analogy to whatever the band is doning at that time.

But I do feel silly arguing whethr it is intentional. It works. So s'all good.

i think that this would be a good question to ask mike in an interview...not about chainsaws, but...ya know.

Blocking out instruments isnt terribly hard, but as someone said, can be quite necessary for musicians and engineers to do. Blimey is an idiot for saying what he said to glassSandwich. I blocked out death vox when i was just getting into that style of music but now im used to them and sometimes appreciate them.

It's definitely possible to block out death vocals and such. I never really focus on the growls, but they definitely add to a band like Opeth. But blocking out isn't that hard. Sometimes I swear I hardly hear the screaming in Dillinger Escape Plan because I'm paying attention to everything but the screaming.

The death growls and the clean vocals are each needed to complement and co-exist with the different tempos of the music throughout each song. I've seen lots of bands over the last four years, so I have an idea of what I'm discussing here. Each moment of each song.. break it down and you'll understand how it is the way it is. My brother in law, who is not into the whole thing, has seen Opeth with me the last two times, in October, and about a month ago, and even HE was impressed for someone who is not into metal, per se. Let all of it grow on you and there is your answer in the long run.

blimey said:

Yeah, for the most part I can, although I don't think of it that way.

It seems to be more of a trance like state that I go into.

As I said in my post, Billy sang with Roy Buchanan often referred to as "the greatest underrated guitar player ever." Jeff Beck said, "Roy was the greatest guitar player ever." Anyway, to sing for Roy you could'nt be a slouch. and believe me Billy can sing. That's waht surprised me him (Billy) being a fellow vocalist that he didn't like Mikaels growls. Although he did agree with me on his awesome vocal range. I too have focused on a specific instrument or sound while listening, but the vocals are always there and for me just can't be blocked. I told all the people I was with that night that Akerfeldt imo, is in the top 3 of vocalists in any genre period. And if you don't like his singing what the fuck are you doin' here, I'll fuckin' hit you so hard your stomach will fall out of your fuckin' ass. Needless to say, they all calmed down and we all enjoyed the mighty Opeth. Peace.

i agree with ironbeard. i can block out most specific parts of the music, but i find it so much harder to block out lyrics. not that i really try to with opeth. with some bands i find the death vox are unneccesary and badly done so i try and just focus on the music. but with opeth you miss out on so much if you block out the death vox.

Mikael is without a doubt, the most awesome vocalist I have ever heard. (But everyone here knows that) This may not be fair, but, the vocalist for In Flames on Jester Race, which musically I like, could'nt carry Mikaels microphone. The guy is just so mediocre compared to Mikael. And I can understand his death vox, Mikael's singing imo, is an important part of the MIGHTY OPETH.