Your opinion about Pain of Salvation

They're one of my favorite bands. I think I like One Hour By The Concrete Lake best, just going by which I've listened to most. Current favorites.. !, Winning A War, Nightmist, New Years Eve, Water, In The Flesh, Perfect Element, Ending Theme, Rope Ends.

I'll be seeing POS next week at the Prog III show in Atlanta, GA, USA. I hope they are good live, so they can change my opinion about them. So far, I am wondering why they are not the opening act on a five band list.

TPE just hasn't quite done it for me. I haven't heard RL yet. OHBTCL is an excellent cd, better than TPE, imo.

Gildenlow can sing, but at times, on TPE, his voice annoys me.

Chris Cornell is a better vocalist, imo.

Originally posted by Alex78
I bought Remedy Lane and didn't like it. probably that's because I'm not into that kind of progressive metal at all. it had some good melodies but the vocals really sucked IMO.

/me seconds that (I didn't buy it though)

Sounds a lot like Dream Theater with Geoff Tate as the lead vocalist... 5 years ago I might have been into this.

Not at all man...

Anyway.. I just want to comment on the fact that I think a Akerfeldt and Gildenlow project would not work.. they are both controlling and to much the leader types..

What I would have loved to see was the original OSI with..

Jim Matheos
Sean Malone (The greatest bassist...)
Daniel Gildenlow
Kevin Moore
Mike Portnoy

I was so goddamned excited.. now I hear it sounds like fucking Tool..

Nothing wrong with Tool but let Tool sound like Tool.

Brandon

heres a quote of Daniel to a journalists question.I dont remember the exact words but here it is:

"if you re looking for a band which sounds like your favorite one, forget about us. If youre looking for a band to forget your favorite one, you have to check us."

Originally posted by Monsterxman
Sounds a lot like Dream Theater with Geoff Tate as the lead vocalist... 5 years ago I might have been into this.

I couldn't disagree more. I hear virtually no similarity between POS and Dream Theater. Theres the occasional moment that sounds similar like in Rope Ends and some of the stuff of the first few albums. As for the vocals, sometimes he sounds like Geoff Tate but theres alot of variety in the vocals, he sings low aswell and he occationally screams.

Originally posted by Hondo
Current favorites.. !, Winning A War, Nightmist, New Years Eve, Water, In The Flesh, Perfect Element, Ending Theme, Rope Ends.

Great selections from the somewhat overlooked first two albums...Gildenlow's quote about balancing the fierce with the introspective is apparent here, and of course throughout all of POS' albums to date.

I probably should modify my original post.
After listening to the following samples (see below)...
I can now conclude, the lead singer doesn't sound like
Geoff Tate. To say that would be a disservice to Mr. Tate.
However, to say that POS don't take elements from Dream Theater and Queensryche is simply not true.

I don't want to argue here, since after listening to more of this band it's obvious they weave well constructed music. I just have no interest in it.

However, I used to listen to a ton of music just like this.
So I hardly would say I'm ignorant on the subject of prog/metal/rock.

Here's a list of bands that I used to listen to and are in the same genre. Perhaps this will help some with interest in this genre.

Eternity X - "The Edge"
Shadow Gallery - "Tyranny", D.C. Cooper and James Labrie sing on a few tracks...
Zero Hour - "Dahli's Dilema" - great musicians... weak vocals imho.
Dream Theater - "Awake", "Images...
Symphony X - Anything except first album... which has a different and weaker singer.
Rhapsody - "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" - For all your neo-classical shredding needs...
Savatage - "Dead Winter Dead", "Wake of Magellan"
Payne's Gray - They only put out one cd... that I know of...
based on Lovecraft writings... not a big fan of it... but to each his own.
Power of Omens - If you simply must have high pitched vocals... the lead singer has the greatest range I have ever heard. Seek out the song, "Test my Will". In addition, the technical level of this band is quite high and they don't mind flaunting it. I dare say most will find this unlistenable. Music for musicians.
Nevermore - shares a few elements in common with POS...
so you might want to check them out... much heavier...
Flower Kings - "Alive on Planet Earth" - the best live cd I have ever heard... more akin to 70's progressive rock then Metal. Simply incredible... double cd. If you like this, you may want to check out Spocks Beard and Transatlantic as well...

I downloaded the following 10 songs and have listened to each several times.

My thoughts:

1.) Beyond the Mirror - I'd be scared to play this one for my friends. They might beat me up... much like I would do to them if I caught them listening to The Backstreet Boys.
2.) The Perfect Element - Is there really a reason why this song needs to be over 9 minutes long.
3.) Handful of Nothing - Sounds a bit like Dream Theater, music wise that is, not vocals...
4.) Seasons Change - can you say - Days of the New! Hmm... Dream Theater has a song called Change of Seasons... They sound nothing alike... DT's being a 25 minute masterpiece...
5.) Undertow - Can't these guys come up with an original name for a song... see Tool... or at least pick something really obscure like Opeth does. One part of this song, state's "Let me Fly"... and all I can think of when I listen to it is "let me die!"... man this is boring.
6.) Big Machine - Starts off like it's going to be cool... enough said.
7.) Dryad of Wood - nice acoustic guitar... simple but at least they tone down the dramatics on this one.
8.) Pilgrim - if you like this one, seek out the soundtrack to "Les Miserables"...
9.) Plains at Dawn - just not getting into the vibe on this one...
10.) Nightmist - pretty cool music... vocal style similiar to Payne's Gray at 2:10-2:35...

None of these songs struck me as particularly bad... however I can't really say any of them struck me as original or great either.
If there are better samples/examples of this band, please let me know?

If it works for you great. However, please don't call someone ignorant for not agreeing with your musical tastes.

Originally posted by Monsterxman
I don't want to argue here, since after listening to more of this band it's obvious they weave well constructed music. I just have no interest in it.

[...]

None of these songs struck me as particularly bad... however I can't really say any of them struck me as original or great either.
If there are better samples/examples of this band, please let me know?

First of all, I applaud the fact that you presented your opinion without flaming anyone, an event becoming more and more common online.

Pain of Salvation's music is all part of a bigger picture, they have not released a CD that isn't a concept album. Especially in the last two discs they released, every song is connected somewhere else on the album.

Beyond the Pale (I assume this is what you ment when you said Beyond the Mirror), The Perfect Element (and to a lesser extent, Plains of Dawn) are all finales to their respective albums (Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element Part I).

Beyond the Pale shows the main character breaking down emotionally, after trying unbearably hard to gain love without sex (after having too much sex without love), and still, even in the end, admitting to his human frailty, he can't put himself past the physical, despite everything he has suffered through in the name of love and desire. This chronicle is less obvious without having heard the rest of the album, the references, musically (notice the re-occurance of that medieval guitar melody from Chain Sling), and lyrically (Fandango, Ending Theme, Undertow, Of To Beginnings, etc.) will seem as if they "don't fit", as their origin remains a mystery. This does not mean that these songs can't stand on their own, it's just they gain n extra light when put into proper context.

The relationship between This Heart of Mine (I Pledge) and Undertow is the same (Note: Daniel said this in an interview with Metal Maniacs, I'm paraphrasing it). Near the end of This Heart..., this theme of love, a bond, appears, being sung by Daniel, and being covered in a guitar part. This theme also appears again in the next track (although very distorted, it's still there), Undertow.
Th love is still there, but the tone has changed to somber, dark, and this theme is reflected back to the listener as feeling hollow, the love and the pledge made in the first song are still present in this one, but it is strained and tense.

The Perfect Element (the song), is much the same way, showing the listener the main charcter's descent into madness, as the troubled past he had been avoiding finally catches up with him. Song for the Innocent, track 10, a lament to the "child", that the main charcter used to be, soon becoming buried in the ending paino melody from Her Voices, a vivid musical portrait of how this gron up narrator has failed at all of his eemingly simple childhood ambitions, before slipping quietly into Falling, a simple, yet soulful final glimpse of the childhood he can never return to (read the poem included in the lyric book, between Song for the Innocent, and The Perfect Element, for more insight into this instrumental piece), before that song does just what its title indicates: falls, more or less, into the title track, which reflects back on the entire CD as the character's past finally becomes too much to bear (what actually happens? I guess we have to wait for Part II...), bringing back themes from Ashes, Morning on Earth, Used, King of Loss, etc. , before finally ending with the sound of a clock in the background, noting that even though he has "fallen beyond the point of no return", time is still "passing by."

I could go on to the other CD's, but you get the drift, each song, on its own, is like an iceberg, if you don't absorb the whole thing, you're not getting the big picture, just a rough idea, however, each song can stand by itself, only the various themes and tie-ins will seem unusual, to say the least. I know this sounds contradictory, but it is as close as I'm gonna come to be able to put the relationship that the songs have into words.

Onto Daniel's vocals, there's no denying the man has talent (he won national vocal awards in Sweden at an extremely young age), some people just don't care for his style, hge sometimes gets a little too operatic and melodramatic, and he exhibited some weakness in the high range on the first two albums.

Monster X Man you picked seriously either their worst songs or the ones that are hardest to get into when you downloaded those ten. And "Seasons change" isnt even a PoS song!

Try these tracks

! (Forward)
Used
Idioglossia
Winning a War
New Year's Eve
Home
Rope Ends
Ending Theme
A Trace of Blood

Among others, but yeah its amazing the tracks you picked to download. those tracks you have, at least for me, were the ones that were harder to get into. and beyond the mirror is a b-side too =)

Oh and Ffanatic, he did mean Beyond the Mirror. There is a PoS track called beyond the mirror, it was a bonus track on the japaneze version of entropia or something. I dont remember.