The first time you heard death/black/growl vox ?

The first Opeth track I heard was "The Drapery Falls" Edit,

WOW, I thought, got to find out more about this band...

The rest is history buried in this forum if you care to search for it :D

I like the sound of "miss defni," respects. :headbang:

LOL.

^ Indeed...

Found on a Kerrang mag freebie CeeDee.

No death vox on the edit version, I was quite suprised when I got Blackwater park later.

My first hearing of death vox was a band called, "The Obsessed" 'Lunar Womb' great album. :)

Cannibal Corpse - I Cum Blood

I was fascinated by the fucked up lyrics so I downloaded it and had a good laugh when I first heard it. This was when I was into classic rock and a few classic metal bands (like Maiden, Priest, Sabbath).

First time experience of the cookie monster was probably either Possessed - Seven Churches or Death - Screaming Bloody Gore. Certainly by '89 anyone named checked as coming from the Florida scene was a must for me.

a friend lent me a copy of symbolic by death, but at the time i didnt know how to appreciate the death vox, i thought it wasn't real music. then a year later a different friend played the dimmu borgir version of burn in hell, and something clicked. it just sounded really evil at the time.

now i hate dimmu borgir and symbolic is one of my favorite albums.

Seems like a lot of people first heard Cradle or Borgir, I was the same. The first time I heard death metal vocals was from Borgir. I really didn't mind it and I listened to them for a good while along with cradle of filth until I got sick of them. However, I don't see why people are ashamed that cradle was the first band to get them into growling. I don't really care if cradle are a bunch of dorks or if they have some really lame songs, some of their older songs are great. Even if it's only some, you have to give them credit for that.

But ya, Opeth really got me into liking death vocals. I never really liked them with borgir or cradle but with Opeth I really started to appreciate them. Oh and the same with Arch Enemy.

It was either the leprosy album (death), altars of madness (MA), cenotaph by bolt thrower or lake of fire by nocturnus.

ahh, those were the days.

....to follow on, when i think about it, bands like Celtic Frost, Coroner and Kreator primed me for death vox. If it were not for them, i may have never given bands like Death / Morbid Angel a chance in the first place.

My introduction to theese styles was through bands like Dimmu Borgir, Emperor,
Nile and Fear factory. They were on a tape my friend gave me back in 1999.

The first time I remember was Opeth. I was into nu-metal at the time, and talking to ym 2nd cousin or whatever about music (at my Grandpa's 80th birthday party, no less). And we talked a bit about nu metal and stuff, and then he said something like "Man, you have to listen to some of the really heavy shit". So, he took out "Deliverance" and played the title track for me. Then he played some Cradle of Filth. I thought it was pretty cool, so I went home and downloaded a bunch of Opeth, and fell in love.

Originally Posted by Tumn
I thank Ace Ventura when I saw it in theaters!

Yeah, now that you mention it I remember watching that and thinking WTF this is fucked up.
I loved it, went home and downloaded some Cannibal Corpse.:headbang:

First growl I ever heard was Hammer Smashed Face.
Ace Ventura here too. Haha.. good to see I'm not the only gay one.

Weird seeing all these people that never heard a real growl until the late 90s.