The first time you heard death/black/growl vox ?

The first time I actually heard these kind of vocals was on Headbanger's Ball a couple of years ago

The first time I heard them in a band I recognized was a year ago, when I first got into Opeth.

back in the time I was into the nu metal stuff and some punk .. oh well, stupid teenager :p .. then I read an interview with Slipknot, and they mentioned Nile as being extreme and amazing, so I checked it out. it was too extreme for me back then, but I loved Kheti Sata Shemsu :) .. I thought it was funny actually such stuff.
a bit later, I wanted to check out metal, and someone recommended Opeth .. in a "wild" mood I bought Deliverance, and I played it while I had to study for exams. the first 10 times I thought: mwah, it's okay, but what's the big deal? .. then suddenly it hit me, and now, well, now metal is the main music in my life ;)

A friend was raving about how awesome Cradle of Filth was, so I checked them out. Now, I knew nothing about any kind of metal outside of Metallica and shit like that, but I liked only a few tracks I heard of them, two of them Iron Maiden covers. So, I went from CoF to Maiden onto a prog thing, which led to bands like Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation, which led directly to Opeth.

My first time was Demon of the Fall. My mate recommended Opeth to me so i downloaded this song. Thought it was attrocious. But he kept telling me to give them another shot so i downloaded Bleak and i fell i love with it. True story!

Cradle of Filth was my introduction, followed by older Opeth.

Sad, really, that COF was my first metal experience.

The godfather of death metal Chris Barnes & Cannibal Corpse.

1st thing I noticed was the great album covers. So great I had to buy a couple cd's. They didn't really get me into death metal, but I did like them. About 10 yrs later I discovered Opeth & have since expanded into other death bands & black metal.

The EuroMetal scene greatly expanded my musical horizons.

Death's Leprosy
Couldn't quite get into it yet, and then I heard Spiritual Healing. Liked that one much better, musically, so I went back to Leprosy, which then turned me on to Morbid Angel, Entombed, Malevolent Creation, Deicide, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, etc.

Napalm Death in, I think, 1991. The DJ at this kids disco party suddenly put this noisy stuff on! At the time I thought stuff like Anthrax was the heaviest music that existed, so it was a bit of an eye opener!

hmm i think i was listening to Xfm (woofuckinghoo) and they suddenly went all metal. i hit the record button :)
I only properly fell in love with the growl when this dude I was dating lent me BWP. I listened to nothing but opeth for about 3 months :D he turned out to be a complete asshole but hey it was worth it.

the first time i heard dm vocals was the drapery falls and i totally fell in love with Opeth :D ..and a while later got into other dm stuff like Death and Morpheus Descends