A musicians surprising opinion about "death vox"

I've liked death growls since the second I heard them. I understand how people don't like them, but it's just what I like.

And I can never understand ANYONE singing. Occasionally I'll understand a line or 2 in a song, and over time I might decipher a few more, but really, not much. No matter who's singing. So, the incomprehensibility (sp?) of a vocalist means nothing to me.

While it does add some "intensity" it loses in appeal for most listeners. Thise vocals are what will turn off many. Not only are they unappealing to most, but only the trained ear can tell what is being said without looking at the booklet. Most will not take a vocalist seriously who used them. Opeth who balance the clean with the grunts are somwhat better for that.

ironbeard said:
Mikael is without a doubt, the most awesome vocalist I have ever heard. (But everyone here knows that) This may not be fair, but, the vocalist for In Flames on Jester Race, which musically I like, could'nt carry Mikaels microphone. The guy is just so mediocre compared to Mikael. And I can understand his death vox, Mikael's singing imo, is an important part of the MIGHTY OPETH.
I disagree about Mike being the best or most interesting vocalist. Often he will not sing in key with the music, especially on the clean vocals with the mellow music. He will not sing to how the guitar is tuned. Mike often tries to sound too whiny when doing the clean vocals. Ghost reveries was an improvement however. I think Haughm from Agalloch does a better job. His voice even when clean has a very droning sound which fits the music very nicely. Mike is a competent vocalist, but other bands (Agalloch) the vocals fit in better with the music. :cool:

soundave said:
Musicians often HAVE TO be able to do this. As well as audio engineers. It's a skill, and you have to practice it to be good at it.

I agree, with some bands I'm not really into the vocals, so I tend to block them out and focus on the rest of the band. There are Opeth songs I occasionally do this with, usually if I'm not getting anything from the vocal line in conjunction with a particular riff or whatever, but Mike does really know how to make death vox sound good.

But growls can be a hard thing to get into for a lot of people, and yes it does take an open mind, and some time to let it sink in.

JoeVice said:
:erk: do you mean out of tune, or out of key? give me an example.

He must mean out of key, cause Agalloch's singer has some of the least in-tune vocals ever ;P Though Mikael's were kind of out of tune before still life (example - part right before the guitar solo in april ethereal :D). NOW, however, there's almost no comparison, the agalloch guy is far worse technically (BUT MAYBE HE'S 'IN KEY' OR SOMETHING). :p

Kenneth R. Where you been, man. I'm glad you weighed in on this. Being a musician I belive that lyrics and vox are vital to the song if the musician puts them in there. There's reason for that. Peace.a

I've been breaking my neck and back at ProgPower UK. Orphaned Land, Threshold & Therion kicked my ass severely, and the other bands were totally enjoyable as well. 12 hours of nonstop headbanging at the railing, a weekend to remember.

I like the comparison of death vocals with Rap, by the way.

My family can't stand me liking bands with death vocal styles. I'm always using headphones while listening to make sure nobody gets any bit.

Hey by the way, how many death vocalists do we have at all? And by that I mean people who 'growl' and not scream like a pixie (Danny Filth). Mike would be one, Tägtgren another one.. who else?

Opeth have both Growls and screams by the way, and so does CoF... (Lord Abortion Low vocals for example...)

Especially old Opeth has a lot of "BM style screams"... but they have their own style now and aren't really BM or DM, as with the music.

They showed a clip of Napalm Death on Nevermind The Buzzcocks last Monday, and obviously they all laughed at the vocals. The world isn't ready for it yet obviously, but just showing it on BBC 2 is a start I guess.

Early Opeth weren't really BM style screams, but they were kinda like them more than they were like death growls.

Yeah, thats what I meant. They have never been a typical DM band, even the pre album songs are hardly Cannibal Corpse material!

wankerness said:
He must mean out of key, cause Agalloch's singer has some of the least in-tune vocals ever ;P Though Mikael's were kind of out of tune before still life (example - part right before the guitar solo in april ethereal :D). NOW, however, there's almost no comparison, the agalloch guy is far worse technically (BUT MAYBE HE'S 'IN KEY' OR SOMETHING). :p

yah, i know what you mean about the part before the solo in april ethereal...and i've never heard agolloch...but out of key? i dunno...he sings in some pretty strange keys sometimes....like the acoustic/voice-only part in the middle of closure.

Aarohi said:
I like the comparison of death vocals with Rap, by the way.

My family can't stand me liking bands with death vocal styles. I'm always using headphones while listening to make sure nobody gets any bit.

Hey by the way, how many death vocalists do we have at all? And by that I mean people who 'growl' and not scream like a pixie (Danny Filth). Mike would be one, Tägtgren another one.. who else?

Karl Sanders, Dallas-Toler Wade, Mikael Stanne used to (and kinda still does), Chuck Schuldiner (pre-Symbolic), George Fisher, Chris Barnes...should I go on? :D