A musicians surprising opinion about "death vox"

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Karl Sanders, Dallas-Toler Wade, Mikael Stanne used to (and kinda still does), Chuck Schuldiner (pre-Symbolic), George Fisher, Chris Barnes...should I go on? :D

check out affinityband's growls. props to affinityband.

Take Pink Floyd with Waters and Gilmour singing those words of psychedelia and also the screams of Waters in some songs, chilling your nerves.

You listen to Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson singing. The way he delivers every song and belts it with those lyrics is just fuckin awesome.

Take Dave Mustaine spurting out angst in every song of Megadeth. Again, the delivery is brilliant.

Considering the same analogy, take Akerfeldt delivering the aggressive passages through growls and the lamentations with his clean voice. That is a work of art. That is one of the big reasons I like Opeth.

Whether the singer growls or sings, if the basic essence of the music is delivered to the listener, that is more than enough for me to like the band.

All I can say about the subject is that if it didn't have death vox then it wouldn't be death metal. Without the death metal vox, there is no death metal. Same with black metal. As to the question of the purpose of death vox, they are a form of expression, or the demon inside :headbang:

I know a bunch of people that would listen to Opeth on a more constant basis if the vocals either taken out or clean. I think it would be kind of cool to hear all of Opeths songs as an instramental. The only thing I could think of that might do that would be Logic. But I'm not a muscian so I dont really know.

JoeVice said:
:erk: do you mean out of tune, or out of key? give me an example.
I am saying that on some parts of damnation the guitars are standard tuning and he sings not to standard tuning. But don't ask me, I just saw that on amazon and thought it was funny so I posted it here. :loco:

shark22 said:
I am saying that on some parts of damnation the guitars are standard tuning and he sings not to standard tuning. But don't ask me, I just saw that on amazon and thought it was funny so I posted it here. :loco:
um.. tuning has jack to do with notes. it just means that the default 6 notes on guitar without putting any fingers down will be different depending on tuning. you can have instruments in many tunings playing in the same key, in fact Orchestras do this.

i think you meant keys if you could notice a difference.

Mike's is probably the only death metal voice I can listen to with a straight face, I think of it more as an important part of the soundscape and can't really imagine many of their songs without it.