Only for musicians?

Have you studied music?

• Yes

Votes: 83 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 36.6%

• Total voters
I don't think that Opeth is so technical and complex as to be appreciated only by musicians. This would be a good poll to make about a band like Suffocation or Nile. Don't get me wrong, Opeth kicks ass-- but I don't think that their music is extremely diffucult or complex. (Compared to a band like Suffocation, at least.)

rofl, Opeth's arrangements aren't exactly very complex, especially for metal/prog standards. The genius of Opeth lies within the songwriting and the atmosphere they are capable of creating.

here's a simple question to everyone:

"face of melinda" is an instant hit everyone would probably agree on. it was one of my first favorites back in 2000 when i first started listening to opeth with still life. i was amazed at the purity and natural flow of the song while not disregarding the beautiful lyrics and the soothing vocals. i didnt play the guitar back then and didnt know anything anout the technical side of music.

in 2003 (it was my 3rd year with the classical guitar), one of my friends pointed out the chord progression in the "i took her by the hand to say..." bit. it is G#-G-F#-F...i was awestruck. i had never seen anything of that sort. now this may still be due to my ignorance and overall lack of musical theory, but it still stuns me.

those who know theory: is it just me or is it something really extraordinary? and if it is, then wouldnt knowing some kind of technicality help you appreciate this band more?

If that were the case, then you could just be looking at the notes rather than listening to them. It would create the same kind of appreciation.

in 2003 (it was my 3rd year with the classical guitar), one of my friends pointed out the chord progression in the "i took her by the hand to say..." bit. it is G#-G-F#-F...i was awestruck. i had never seen anything of that sort. now this may still be due to my ignorance and overall lack of musical theory, but it still stuns me.
Well, almost. It is a CESH (Contrapuntal Elaboration of Static Harmony) in G# minor. ie, a G# minor chord with a decending root. A popular technique in jazz. Also made famous as in the opening bars to "My Favorite Things", "Chim Chim Cheree", "It don't mean a thing (if it a'int got that swing)". etc. But anyway, Opeth used it masterfully right there.

i'm a classical guitar major but i believe studying music makes a very little difference if any. mike is a real artist that doesn't ever have to know what a cadence is to write music that is in his head. i remember watching a video of him where he didn't know the name of his favorite chord (a min add 9 i believe), which goes to prove he doesn't have to think of theory and technical song structure (by the way, bach peices can be broken down to 3 chord progressions), which to me means we don't have to look for it to appreciate it more. I've appreciated opeth (and tool's lateralus! which is godly!) far more than any other music since the moment it sent chills down my spine and touched my soul!

:kickass: Nice name. And welcome. Shame you like Tool though

rofl, Opeth's arrangements aren't exactly very complex, especially for metal/prog standards. The genius of Opeth lies within the songwriting and the atmosphere they are capable of creating.

exactly

acclaration:

I play guitar since 10 ten years old (I have 24 now) and Bass (fretless) since 17 years old. I play in a tribute band to opeth (deliverance).

Well, almost. It is a CESH (Contrapuntal Elaboration of Static Harmony) in G# minor. ie, a G# minor chord with a decending root. A popular technique in jazz. Also made famous as in the opening bars to "My Favorite Things", "Chim Chim Cheree", "It don't mean a thing (if it a'int got that swing)". etc. But anyway, Opeth used it masterfully right there.

thank you very much for the input, braighs. thats clears up a lot of things. i had noticed it was an extraordinary composition in standard rock and metal.

Checked. Masters degrees in both music AND astronomy?? You're insane!! Seriously, good on you, that's so fucking metal. :headbang:

Thanks man! I was destin for the space program, or atleast a research position at JPL, however after some soul searching and some health problems, I decided to persue music insted. There are just so many unknowns in our grand universe, these thoughts continue to inspire me every day.

Rob