The first time you heard death/black/growl vox ?

Feb 16, 2006
I think death black vocals is what seperate people from awesome music and a lot of people just can't get through the growl vocals !

My first experience was in 1993.
Just got Mtv and believe or not Headbangers Ball existed in those times and a video starts.
My violence treshold was Nirvana, Guns and Roses Metallica and Pantera ( which had fucking hostile!)
Nice drum intro and guitars, great metal riff and suddenly the voice from hell, scorched and demonic, it was the Philosopher video from Death and Chuck's voice scared the shit out of me.
I remember thinkin' man these guys are completely fucked up in the head, what is the purpose of those growls it is not even music, no singing no melody !
It took times to start appreciating these kind of vocals.
Another defining moment was the Blashyrk Raven Dark video ( best metal video of all time) from Immortal which was scary and funny at the same time !!!
And I have to mention also Chris Barnes with the Bleeding album which was my first death metal cd and Barnes vocals were just so inhuman ! Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

I know that now screams and death vocals are common in metal and I consider now the philosopher as a classic metal track which has a poppy beatlesque chorus :

THe Philoooooosoooooopheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Chuck used to say , let the metal flow !:headbang:

What s your story with death growl vox ???

got in my friend's car a few too many times. he made me appreciate the musical quality first, then gave me BWP. i fell in love w/ the clean vocals immediately and the growling grew on me.

I think a friend of mine got me into Cannibal Corpse back in high school... maybe when I was 14 or something, he'd go on their site and blast Hammer Smashed Face and shit like that in class. It was good.

heard bits and pieces through the 90's but the first actual full track featuring growls that I listened to was the moor.. and i listened all the way through, promptly told my mate it was shit and didnt listen again until about 2 weeks later at 4am when I was bored and in a 'i dunno what to listen to' music mood.. so I listened to the moor which was still on my PC, and was immediately blown away by the track and went out and bought Still Life :)

Cradle Of Filth...:erk:

At least I was honest. :)

And then everything got better when I listened to Cannibal Corpse. That's when I thought death growls were cool, and then everything just went on from there.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFBTPMN

I can't recall the first time I heard proper growls, though the first time I think I listened to a 'growl' (or anything resembling one) was on Much Loud (shame it sucks so much though). It was when I, too, saw the video for Death - The Philosopher.

hmm... my first real experience with death vocals was probably morbid angel, back then I was just listening to that stuff to be "scary" :cool: it was an alters of madness cd that I found used, so I bought it and started saying "hey man, you ever hear morbid angel?"

The first ones I really got into though was probably cannibal corpse, even though I'm not too much of a fan now.

The first time I heard growls was only like a year ago. Maybe even less. Well barring the whole how i got into metal stuff, I was just searching for new bands, and I stumbled across Opeth. I read up on them a bit and decided to download Orchid. When the vocals started on ITMSWS I thought it was shit at first, but I stuck with it and before I knew it I loved it.

ITMSWS

lol thats the most awesome abbreviated title ever. I'm used to DOTF, SPD, and TBYF, well done on inventing a new legendary one :D

shit i've just actually realised after all this time.. there is no 'The' in that track title at all... conspiracy

In flames, jester race era. Took a while to get used to, and i still don't really seek death vocals. SOme music i listen to has that vocal style, but it's not something i want to hear.

daz436 said:
ITMSWS

lol thats the most awesome abbreviated title ever. I'm used to DOTF, SPD, and TBYF, well done on inventing a new legendary one :D

shit i've just actually realised after all this time.. there is no 'The' in that track title at all... conspiracy

Wow, so I was actually wrong. It should be IMSWS.

well, i'd certainly heard death growls before, not sure when, but opeth was the first time i actually listened and allowed the sound to grow on me. i still usually find death growls pretty lame; only a few singers can pull it off like M.A.

Death; Arch Enemy "Anthems of Rebellion", Silent Wars, back in 2003. Loved it!

Black; Mayhem, "Deathcrush", Deathcrush in 2004. Hated it cause Mayhem are shite. Listened to Emperor's "Anthems" totally loved it.