What do you do when ppl tell you that Opeth's music is good but the vox suck?

I used to despise death vocals but now enjoy them if they're done right. Moonspell is probably the first band with death vox that I grew to like. The music on their Wolfheart album had me hooked even though I didn't like the vox at first, I grew to like them. Now a good portion of my musical library consists of bands with death vox.

I've tried to get a few of my friends into "extreme" metal bands but to no avail, they just can't get past the vocals but agree that the music is cool and interesting.

Same story as most here....

was never into death vox and actually hated Opeth at first... wll not hated but didn't see what was so special. Then i just got used to the vox and found out it was an important part of the sound and then everything clicked and here i am. And i totally appreciate most death vox though, except for the shitty ones hehehe

I don't blame 'em. I nearly shelved Blackwater Park because of the death vocals. I'd still rather listen to clean vocals, but this is still great stuff.

I usually tell them its something you'd have to grow onto or already be into the metal genre to like.

I hated them for a long time too so I can understand it. I just keep trying, eventually they might get into it. It's worked for a few people so far. Only if they actually like the music, of course. It's just too far outside some peoples' ranges to even bother.

I absolutely hate it. It's a big part of extreme metal, for Christ's sake.

Today, I let this girl I know listen to Still Life. For the first couple of minutes of "The Moor," she said she liked what she heard, then when Mikael ripped into the vocals, she laughed hysterically and threw the headphones off...:mad:

I try not to let it get to me though...after all, she WAS listening to a Creed CD before I said "Hey, check this stuff out." :D

I dislike almost every death metal band in the history of the world, but Opeth's vocals have always clicked with me since I first heard them. Mike has near perfect enunciation, there's never a guess at what he's saying, unlike a lot of DM bands out there. I read an interview with a death/grind band who shall remain nameless, who's singer admitted to "making stuff up live", because "no one can hear what the hell I'm saying anyways."

Alot of my "Non - Metal" friends tend to not like the grim vocals. My father also does not like them. A few days ago he was getting his truck fixed and I had to give him a ride to the auto repair shop and I happened to have Agalloch's "The Mantle" in the CD player. Before the death vox kick in he says " this is good music" and then he said "these aren't one of those bands you listen to with the guy going ararhhghagh (Death Vox Impersonation), are they?" I reply with "Yeah" he says "It's a shame because they have some really cool music.

Personally, I don't really care if they like it or not. It really is their loss. Plus, the grim vocals really aren't for everybody.

I tend to think that modern music has focused attention onto vocals, and that people will listen to the vocals and, not liking them, won't listen to the band. This is true of any style of music, not just metal/death metal. Like anything it requires just a little bit of an open mind. And it's not as if any other style of vocals would work over a large percentage of Opeth's music.

i really like when bands mix screaming vocals and clean vocals, and heavy music and acoustic stuff. but i prefer their lighter side.
by the way, i'm just getting into opeth. what is ther most mellow album?

Originally posted by ffanatic
I read an interview with a death/grind band who shall remain nameless, who's singer admitted to "making stuff up live", because "no one can hear what the hell I'm saying anyways."
Hey, Obituary used to do that on their albums :D

John Tardy rules :lol: :cool: