What Is It About Opeth's Music That You Like?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I read about everybody's favorite Opeth album or song, and wonder why?

I read the details on peoples answers - because the song moves you, or the album tells a story. But stand back - and really answer why Opeth?

I go to different bands for different reasons - some just kick ass, some move you.

Even though I'm not sure if I'm making sense - I'll answer my own question:

I find Opeth's music complete - moreso than any other. I don't listen to Opeth because of one part of there technicality - it's just I find them overall the most stimulating. They don't play the fastest (so I can't compare to speed metal bands), the growling isn't extreme (high or low), they don't pound your chest like some other bands, they may not make you cry like some others - but somehow they complete what music means to me. They do it all - they don't have a specialty - they seem to be able to do almost anything they want.

Did that make any sense?:confused:

I just happen to think their songs are really, really great....it's simply good music, and the style is very much in my taste, CONTRASTS between the hard and the mellow, excellent riffs, beautiful singing/growling, aggressive and moody on the same time....the guys in the band seem to be in it for the love of music as well, especially Mikael, and that makes it even more real.
It is like this with very few bands. I consider Opeth as the ultimate metal band. Their music is so complete, if you see what I mean

Yeah i agree with groteZk....
Opeths music is somehow very real and honest...sometimes when i listen to other bands i feel cheated...but it´s never that way with Opeth everything from the music to the coverart is made with such care and passion.....i have never experienced music that unfolds this kind of deep beauty before!!!
So to anwser metalmancpas question "why Opeth?"
It´s simply because Opeths music moves me, i never feel empty while listning to their music...the music speaks to me and i listen :rolleyes:

As I can't be bothered to write ALL the reasons that Opeth are my favourite band, I'll write the one that's most clear in my mind right now:

With other bands, they either create an atmosphere without having mind-blowing riffs, or they have mind-blowing riffs without really setting an atmosphere. Opeth does both at the same time.

Does that make sense?

rustymetal: With other bands, they either create an atmosphere without having mind-blowing riffs, or they have mind-blowing riffs without really setting an atmosphere. Opeth does both at the same time.

that's perfect. damn, you just summed it all up with that simple sentence. i won't repeat anything anyone said, because i agree with all of it. but i will add this, opeth's got some of the best lyrics that i've ever had the privelige of reading. the lyrics are just perfect. some bands try so hard to make artistc lyrics that it just sounds cheesy, but opeth put true poetry to their music.

Originally posted by D Mullholand
I don't know!

I like the way Chris Dick, the DigitalMetal reviewer put it: Opeth is like "home".

D Mullholand

Yes! Opeth is like "home"!!!!! I was reading
through this thread and went; "Fuck, I
don't really know, it just feels right.....?"
They fit me so well, the music is complete,
it moves me, the way that it's put
together, it's "home" >:eek:)

I LOVE the way they mix up different genres of music.. I LOVE their guitars.. the drums.. the bass.. I LOVE their lyrics.. Opeth rulez :)

...The guest appearances from all the rappers, i really like that.

That and the sick-samples that they integrate into their phat beats.

:D

out of all the different aspects from Opeths music the parts I seem to enjoy the most are when Mikael phrases his vocals like at 4:46 of The Leper Affinity,I just purchsed BWP recently and havent found another spot on the album where he does this sort of phrasing again,on what album does he use this sort of phrasing the most on? if anyone understands what im talking about.......:confused:

I like Opeth because I know that when I'm having any problems or worry's , I can just put on my headphones and listen to an Opeth track and they all go away , the music is just like a medication for my mind , and for a 15 year old I do have a very complex mind , you just have to get to know me . The music is like a journey or something , it's really hard to explain , but I bet if everyone in here could put in words why they like opeth and what they like about them , it would be page's up on page's. It's just so relaxing some times it just ..... damn it's so hard to explain. NOTHING BEATS IT !! You can listen to any other music, you may like other bands because they have something different but if you are a true Opeth fan , there is nothing like it .

The funny thing is , my friends ask me what kind of music I like and what bands I like , but I don't tell them Opeth . I say different bands . Opeth and society shouldn't mix in my world , and I don't want to bring my friends into my music world . I may sound greedy but that's the way it is ... Unless it's on this board or on my computer I don't want to talk to anyone about Opeth , my friends ask me "what's Opeth man?" and I say " it's a band I listen to you wouldn't like them" ... I have reason's for everything , just don't try to understand me .

i don't know what it is about opeths music that i like, nor do i want to know, once you break it down and rationalise and analyse it loses its magic, all i know is how it makes me feel...

As usual Papa Opeth nails another good post topic (however do you suppose he does it?:rolleyes: )

This one is REALLY hard, as I can't say I've ever thought too much about it before. Obviously everything said so far seems to be on the mark, but I'd like to add to the 'completeness' comments by saying that Opeth's music incite a wide range of strong emotions within me. Unlike the linearity of some bands, particularily in the death metal genre, Opeth covers ALL aspects and concepts regarding death and to a lesser extent love. While a band like Disgorge for example only covers 'pain' through it's solely raw vocals and brutal and relentless riffs, Opeth, even within a single song, can and have covered 'pain', 'loss', 'sorrow', 'fear', 'inevatability', and even 'hope', amongst other things. This lack of restriction and room for limitless possibilities, or as has been said 'completeness' is probably the reason why Opeth is my favourite band.

The other main reason I have to say I like this band above others is rather surprising. I rarely if ever appreciated or listened to a band on the strength of it's lyrics alone. The vocal and instumental work of a band is usually the only thing that interests me enough to purchase and listen to a CD more than once. It is for this reason that I strongly dislike most forms of 'POP' music, as the apparent 'strenghts' of these artists lies solely in the lyrical content, which is often not even thier own work (Britney Spears Anyone?). The thing that INSTANTLY turns me off most bad music I hear is where a singer is talking with/to you. These lyrics are almost always the most uninspirational to be found. That and the fact that they are JUST PLAIN IRRITATING!

Opeth I believe on the other hand, have their strongest drawcard in that fact that English is not the lyricist (Mikael's) native tongue. Now I'm not saying that Mikael's english is bad in any way, but that the 'imperfections' in the phrasing of his lyrics leave room for interpretation in the listeners ears. A lot of his lyrics seem to come across as 'Stream-Of-Conciousness', "Third Person', or 'talking to himself' as opposed to 'talking to someone else'. Instead of trying to impress you with his verbal skills by talking to/at you, he lets you know what he or a hypothetical person, is thinking.

Wow, I think this is the most constructive post I've ever added to this board, so I'll have to thank Papa Opeth for the great topic again, Cheers.

Any thoughts on what I've said? Please hit me back, I'm interested to hear what other people think.

What I like about Opeth is mainly that they are different, and it stikes a chord in me personally. The energy of the music attracts me, on a physical and not-so-physical note. I feel I resonate with it more than just about any other type of music.

Their music is not like a typical pop song where you are forced by repetition to be 'hypnotized' by it, and the lyrical content is restricted by the chosen beat/melody (which rarely changes throughout the whole song). They experiement, and disregard restrictions that others feel obliged to observe. Don't get me wrong, repetition can be a good thing, just that Opeth seem to incorporate a compatible dose.

I love Opethian music because of the atmosphere is leads me into, and the scenarios which I have or haven't experienced. It just seems a much more personal gift that Akerfeldt gives, that even though most of his music is about his personal experiences, he still feels he can share them with complete strangers. There is a certain knowing and trust that develops when you listen to an Opethian opus.

I love Opeth for their highs and lows, their instruments of choice, and their ability to combine them to give a feeling of fulfillment. I love acoustic guitar, and am heartened to hear both it and the other instruments become one with the quatro.

I love Opeth for the after-effect I endure at the end of each musical journey they guide.

I love Opeth for their ability to say why they are releasing their music and their limitations, and being able to stand by them and not suddenly give in to uncomporable pressure. Knowing that the band isn't just a media/fan show that is put on purely for entertainment/financial gain, knowing that they create as unhindered as possible, it seems to make the lyrics and music more meaningful.

I have always liked 'different' music. Maybe, feeling that I have always been a 'different' person, I tend to express better through 'different' music.

3 cheers for Opeth!