What Is It About Opeth's Music That You Like?

Opeth indeed does feel like home. It's a home I can go to whenever I need an escape. When the rest of the world is bothering me, or even when I'm in a great mood..

I just turn the key, open the door and I get taken away. The atmosphere and power behind all the music keeps it interesting and suprising to me even after a couple years of constant play. The inspired writing carries you along and makes you yearn to hear more. The next track does exactly the same. And the next.. until.. the end of Apostle, To Bid You Farewell, Epilogue, White Cluster and BWP hits.. you want more.

It sticks with you and becomes part of you. You personalize a riff, a lyric, a song, even an album. You learn to love it all, and as with anything to which love is ascribed.. you don't want to lose it, or to mar it, or to otherwise alter it.

So every day you find yourself popping that blue cd in the player, and cranking the volume. If not to chill out to amazing music made by artists overflowing with integrity and talent, then at least to feel the overwhelming chill you get when you know this is the music you love.

Make sense? Maybe not.. but damn.. I wanna go home now.

Wooo. This must be one of the most insightful threads in the history of the board. As some incredibly wise and accurate things have been said, I might attempt something different:

Opeth doesn't really bring themselves through in their music. Almost everything else I have to listen to makes me think of the artist and his/her intentions, but Opeth has a certain purity which defies that analysis. The music seems to take a life of its own, based upon the elements we all have to face - love, comfort, sorrow, death...the feelings the songs portray are universal, never getting too personal which would take away from the excitement of throwing yourself into the music...and of course this all is built on a compositional base which is true genius.

So, my opinion is that maybe the band wants to avoid too blatant signs of themselves in both lyrics (you know) and the music (so diverse that they don't really have a signature riff or melody as most bands do).

I think that's why it feels like "home" to so many of us...

Opeth is a music, that is REALLY unique. They have connections to other genres, but the mix is so fuckin unique. And why I like them is that they have a lot of emotions is one song. For example, The Moor. That song makes me cry, and makes me hate everyone either. So when I have enough of everything I always listen to Still Life. And I think, just those people like Opeth, who has some sensibility to good music. And I've never met an irritating and annoying guy, who likes Opeth. So Opeth fans kick ass!!:) And I like everything about Opeth. And yeah, "home" is the best word for the feeling, when I'm listening to Opeth. If there were no Opeth, there wouldn't be that feeling, when you are listening to Opeth.
Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker, as you can see. I've just started to learn it 5 years ago maybe.
So Opeth is a thing, that makes our lives a bit different from other people I think. But tell me, if you aren't think the same way.

I love Opeth for their complete mastery of melody. Quite often, I am just left so amazed how perfect the notes in Opeth songs go together. I love how they dont rely on pure speed and technicality, and instead focus on emotion and awsome melodies.
It blows me away. No band could ever be like them!

Opeth I believe on the other hand, have their strongest drawcard in that fact that English is not the lyricist (Mikael's) native tongue.

I agree with this. If I was to write a song in my second language (French) it would have to be about asking the way to a train station or ordering a meal in a restaurant. :D

Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker, as you can see. I've just started to learn it 5 years ago maybe.

Don't ever apologise for being able to speak more than one language! :D