How do you feel about...

Sadistik

Let me die in solitude...
May 30, 2001
California
Visit site
...the growing popularity of Opeth among the pop-metal crowd? Is it a good thing or a bad one? the pros as I see it are that it will finally expose these sorry individuals to quality, well-made music, and will give an increase in Opeth's income in the long-run. The cons (If I can throw out a hypothetical situ. here) could be that Opeth will make a dash for the cash and compromise their music. While I don't see this EVER happening, an argument could be made that it is inevitable as bands grow more popular. Thoughts?

I agree with what you have said, Sadistik. In some ways, it is slightly upsetting to see the popularity as it seems like some of the mystery of the band is going away by becoming more well-known. It also kind of feels like something private is being given away to everyone. Then again, like you said, it will definitely be good for the band and hopefully change the opinions of some misinformed nu-metal fans in regards to real metal. I am also a bit worried that the band might enjoy this 'popularity' a bit much. My only complaint is that merchandise on eBay is becoming harder to get and more expensive. :p I have complete trust in Opeth, though. They have made 5 great albums, and I don't see any major changes in the future. Who am I to say what they should do?

These are temporary matters. Witness Tool, one of the biggest influences on the jumpdafuckup scene, but still a unique band that develops along their own personal course. I believe in Opeth's integrity - I'm more afraid that they are going to run out of steam than go commercial.

D Mullholand