Intelligent music for intelligent people

I think most of the whole "Hey, I'm a metal elitist, therefore I'm smarter than everyone else who listens to music on the radio." is just a way for them to counter the stereotype that all metalheads are druggies that will end up pumping gas for the rest of their lives.

I like prog a lot, but I don't really consider it to be "smart" music. It's pretty hard to classify any music as "smart" music. It's definitely more technical than most stuff going around these days, but I think it's pretty stupid to go around saying that you're smarter than kids who listen to techno just because prog or metal is more technical than techno.

These kids give music fans a bad name. Pain in the ass.

Okay, you have a point. However, since experimental music is all about experimentation to create soundscapes of sorts, I'd say that it's more difficult to accomplish than other genres of music, and therefore the people making the music must have enough knowledge to create it.

experimentation implies doing something that has not been done by the band before (or genre, etc). it does not have to be 'intelligent'. it could be random haphazard "let's try this and see what happens" experimentation. therefore, you cannot claim that experimental music is any more 'intelligent' than any other form of music. as i said before, they key is the transfer of communicated expression and the gauge the effectiveness with which it is communicated, regardless of genre, complexity, or context.
people who feel one kind of music is more intelligent than another, especially those who feel that complex music is more intelligent, are merely supporting their own insecure ego.

EDIT: as for those morons who think complex = intelligent, or that one necessitates the other, i direct their attention to the world of mathematics, or other forms of art, in which minimalism/simplicity of expression can be measured in degrees of elegance. scientists often work to unify complex ideas under a single, more expressive, albeit simpler, theory or equation. in the same way, artists have for years explored the limits of the degree to which they can express emotion using only crude/few/simple elements. to me, and if i must i shall say that this is my own opinion, communication is the key factor in any expression of art or knowledge. how the communication takes place, with what tools, or in how many dimensions is secondary.

I have to agree with this! Being a software engineer myself (and also a huge of fan of Prog Metal as well), I can certainly relate with this from personal experience. I am always trying to strive for a more simple, elegant way to implement something in a piece of software. In fact, it actually takes a bit of "intellegence" to think through a complex problem and to express it as simply as possible. This is not to be pretentious or anything, but for practical reasons. A simple, elegant solution is much easier to maintain, as well as using less resources in the long run (i.e., memory, CPU cycles, disk-space, so forth). I can certainly appreciate the beauty in simplicity in art as well as the sciences. The Apple iPod is a good example of simplicity in both art and science (form and function). A nice clean design consisting of basically a screen and a circular control pad. The implementation is very clean and straightforward as well. No jumping through complex hoops to find and play your music.

However, I am guilty of using the "intellegent metal for intelligent" people on occasion when it comes to prog metal. Perhap because I also have to agree with what 'Pharoh' above also said. I've seen a number of Prog bands at many a show, and good friends with several of them as well. Everyone that I've met cared very much about thier music and showed an honost love for thier craft. Zero Hour is an excellent example of one such band. I personally find the music and the talent to be that much more real and honost compared to what I percieved as pre-fabbed/manufactured ala mainstream Top-40. Does that make the music "more intelligent"? Perhaps! Perhaps not. However, it is the main reason why I enjoy the prog metal. I think 'Pharaoh' summed it up best with:

Pharoah said:
That's how I see it. I think the "intelligence" factor is just bullshit, really. It's people who care to find great talent within a world of much music that is meaningless, boring, and lacks stimulation.

experimentation implies doing something that has not been done by the band before (or genre, etc). it does not have to be 'intelligent'. it could be random haphazard "let's try this and see what happens" experimentation. therefore, you cannot claim that experimental music is any more 'intelligent' than any other form of music. as i said before, they key is the transfer of communicated expression and the gauge the effectiveness with which it is communicated, regardless of genre, complexity, or context.
people who feel one kind of music is more intelligent than another, especially those who feel that complex music is more intelligent, are merely supporting their own insecure ego.
I could have sworn you blocked me.

Whatever, I guess I was trying to say most of the experimental stuff that I actually listen to sounds more complex than the prog stuff I listen to. Is that better? :mad:

That edit kenneth quote above is, in fact, FTW. While complex stuff is fun and can also be quite stimulating, often times the simple stuff is what makes it effective.

If you want complex and stimulating - check out Beyond Twilight - For the love of Art and the Making! Good Lord. I've listened to that thing aleast a dozen plus times and still trying to figure it out! :rolleyes: But gotta admit, one hell of a piece of work, though.

If you want complex and stimulating - check out Beyond Twilight - For the love of Art and the Making! Good Lord. I've listened to that thing aleast a dozen plus times and still trying to figure it out! :rolleyes: But gotta admit, one hell of a piece of work, though.

just so everyone sees this again. how about one more time as well...

check out Beyond Twilight - For the love of Art and the Making!