What bands do YOU consider the First Wave of Black Metal?

High On Maiden said:
excellent post :headbang: good to see a newer member with some good stuff to say! I agree with where you're coming from with Possessed, and I agree it seems very blackened.

And I think you also make the good point that it is pointless judging earlier bands by today's classifications, if we are trying to agree on what exactly 'black metal' means.

And yeah I think Hellhammer did pretty much turn into Celtic Frost.

Thanks for not being a dick :lol:

Also for whoever said mercyful fate was not called black metal, it does in fact say in the booklet for "the beginning" that mercyful fate was referred to as black metal, though that doesn't hold up by todays standards (in essance, exactly what the people here are saying who support the MF = bm thing). Now obviously there's not one truth to this whole discussion, but i think there are some interesting points being thrown back and forth.

So at least everyone agrees on Hellhammer/Celtic Frost and Bathory right?o_O

If Sarcofago and Sodom ARE considered first wave, then shouldn't we include Holocausto, Samael, Treblinka, Root, etc. ?

The Bringer said:
Sodom? I don't know... I haven't listened to their earlier albums but they sounded pretty thrash to me.
How about you listen to their early albums (actually, the "In the Sign of Evil" EP) then?

i never heard of mercyful fate as being BM before.i guess their early stuff could sort of be considered BM.i remember the old combat records catalogue classifying Venom as BM though.there were others in there as well but not many back then.Hellhammer DID turn into CF.my favorite BM band to date is Dark Throne.

flyer22nm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Perdition's Light said:
If Sarcofago and Sodom ARE considered first wave, then shouldn't we include Holocausto, Samael, Treblinka, Root, etc. ?

Yes. All of them.

Yes. Maybe Black Metal doesn't exist! Maybe it's so hard to decipher and categorize that humans are not capable of it and we shall all have to wait until we die to know the secrets of what makes Black Metal Black Metal and who is worthy of being in this category.

I remember reading an interview with Faust of Emperor in a crappy fanzine released in 1992, where he states that black metal is categorization of metal music that has satanic lyricism and overall antichristian message.

He also states that his fellow countrymen Enslaved are NOT black metal (although antichristian), but strictly viking metal.

The interviewer asks him about Bathory and Faust said that Bathory WERE black metal until (and including) Blood Fire Death album.

I think that is kinda true and by this criteria Merciful Fate, Venom, Hellhammer and Bathory may be labeled as black metal.

Or...

If a band at that time called themselves black metal, so be it.

Possessed were leaning more towards thrash, but I know a lot of people that consider them black metal.

As for Slayer, I heard more often for them being labeled as the godfathers of Death Metal.

I'd call Sepultura's first E.P.[Bestial Devastation] black metal.thrash is so close to BM in some bands it's kinda hard to differentiate

evil miscreant said:
I'd call Sepultura's first E.P.[Bestial Devastation] black metal.thrash is so close to BM in some bands it's kinda hard to differentiate

I guess your right. I'll have to check that out. As well as early Sodom since someone didn't suggest it... I was TOLD to listen to it.

Quit being such a smart ass and just recommend instead of always putting people down. (Not directed to Evil Miscreant)