Who Started Black Metal?

It just occurred to me that Black Flag is a precursor to black metal as we know it now, influencing both Venom and Bathory.

Black Flag - Damaged (1981)

Misfits - Static Age (1978)

The Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks

But considering the OP's screen name, I assume he probably already knew this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people talk about Mayhem kickstarting Black Metal through all the crazy shit they did, but not many people talk about their actual music. I've really been enjoying this recently: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcS0CVJ1KPg&list=PLfiiLzUrOLTZNc3nU6z7i9nNBLHVZ_Ku2[/ame]

I am feeling like Dead from Mayhem today. All I can think about is Blowing my brains out all over the place in my room like a roman candle. I love the thought of it! Do you think Dead has been reincarnated? Normally I dismiss these thoughts quickly, but today I smiled when I thought of it. #Deathcrush.

I am feeling like Dead from Mayhem today. All I can think about is Blowing my brains out all over the place in my room like a roman candle. I love the thought of it! Do you think Dead has been reincarnated? Normally I dismiss these thoughts quickly, but today I smiled when I thought of it. #Deathcrush.

He also wrote one of the most sublime suicide notes ever, apologizing for all the mess his brains and blood would make on the carpet.

mayhem-dawn-of-the-black-hearts_786_poster.jpg