Samael - Worship Him
Sabbat - History Of A Time To Come
Possessed - Seven Churches
Pentagram - Relentless
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Manilla Road - Open The Gates
Katatonia - Dance Of December Souls

Are those bands you consider black metal?

Old Bathory sounds like thrash/speed metal to me. What is bathorys first black metal cd ?. I have heard some of the thrash and viking stuff.

it's been a while since i responded, but just to make things clear

Mercyful Fate is a black metal band, as i said before don't compare a band from 1982 to a band of 2006. styles have changed and that is not a good reason to strip mercyful of the black metal title

Beheaded823 said:
it's been a while since i responded, but just to make things clear

Mercyful Fate is a black metal band, as i said before don't compare a band from 1982 to a band of 2006. styles have changed and that is not a good reason to strip mercyful of the black metal title

It's not like I'm degrading the band by not calling them black metal. I think they were an EARLY INSPIRATION to the genre but not what the majority of black metal bands we've come to know sound like today. Since Mercyful Fate sounds so different than bands like Bathory, Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Immortal, etc. your basically saying that Mercyful Fate is black metal and those bands aren't. If your saying that Mercyful Fate and those bands mentioned above are both black metal than that defeats the purpose of giving them the sub-genre label in the first place. Another thing. Most of the first wave of ACTUAL black metal bands came out in the mid 80s so they aren't even that far from Mercyful Fates time period anyway.

"not what the majority of black metal bands we've come to know sound like today"

Do you know how stupid this sounds? You're basically re-writing the history of the genre, saying that, because Mercyful Fate's sound is no longer readily obvious in the majority of Black Metal bands playing today, that means that they themselves were not Black Metal in 2006, despite the fact that they WERE Black Metal over 2 decades ago. You have very poor logic.

Necuratul said:
"not what the majority of black metal bands we've come to know sound like today"

Do you know how stupid this sounds? You're basically re-writing the history of the genre, saying that, because Mercyful Fate's sound is no longer readily obvious in the majority of Black Metal bands playing today, that means that they themselves were not Black Metal in 2006, despite the fact that they WERE Black Metal over 2 decades ago. You have very poor logic.

That's why I call Mercyful Fate an EARLY INSPIRATION TO THE GENRE. With your dumbass logic you could also call Slayer a black metal band because they have themes similar to Mercyful Fate and black metal bands. Black metal was not a firmly established genre back then. Neither was power metal. Back in the 80s for a period of time Metallica was considered a power metal band. Nobody in their right mind would consider Metallica power metal today. If Mercyful Fate isn't readily obvious in the black metal sound then how can they be black metal? That basically kills the point of making a sub-genre in the first place. Here's a question for ya. If Mercyful Fate and Venom were never called black metal back in the day and you heard all the bands that are considered black metal today would you still consider those 2 bands black metal? It just seems like you are just classifying those bands based on what other people once labeled them.

It's very simple: If they weren't Black Metal then, they couldn't possibly miraculously become such now. If they were Black Metal then, they couldn't possibly miraculously no long be such now.