First Black Metal Band

Dec 23, 2005
What do you guys think was THE first black metal band and I mean black metal as we know it today not black metal as in Venom or Mercyful Fate who (besides image) I don't think sound anything like black metal.

Stargazer :kickass:
nah, only jk
Probably have to be bathory hey, im not sure though

If you (for some stupid reason) insist on excluding the originators such as Mercyful Fate, Venom, Hellhammer, and Celtic Frost, then the answer is Bathory.

hibernal_dream said:
The way the question was framed, I don't think Bathory or Hellhammer fit the description. I'd have to go with Burzum.

No, the way the question was framed didn't exclude first wave bands, it only excluded bands that weren't what we'd consider black metal today. Bathory still stands.

Necuratul said:
If you (for some stupid reason) insist on excluding the originators such as Mercyful Fate, Venom, Hellhammer, and Celtic Frost, then the answer is Bathory.

Listen to bands like Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Burzum, or Gorgoroth and tell me if they sound anything like Venom or Mercyful Fate. I don't consider bands like that black metal. I consider them early inspirations for the genre but definitely not as we know it today.

^ so would you consider Venom and MF Black Metal but not Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Burzum, or Gorgoroth?
just asking, not havin a go or anythin

Danallica said:
^ so would you consider Venom and MF Black Metal but not Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Burzum, or Gorgoroth?
just asking, not havin a go or anythin

No, no, no other way around. Venom is more speed metal and Mercyful Fate is more heavy metal. I consider these bands more of prototypes of black metal but not what defines the genre today.