First band to use corpse paint

Nag said:
Same. I have heard Sarcophago did it first for many many years now.

I'm pretty sure I read as much in Lords of Chaos, though I've never bothered to fact-check it myself. Just assumed they were right. KD during his Mercyful Fate days definitely had the influence for the BM bands though, even if he wasn't the first to do so.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I'm pretty sure I read as much in Lords of Chaos, though I've never bothered to fact-check it myself. Just assumed they were right. KD during his Mercyful Fate days definitely had the influence for the BM bands though, even if he wasn't the first to do so.

[shrug] I just heard it over the years from the uberkvltists and the Aryans from Truemetal Assault on DC++ confirming it years later.

Death Animal said:
Does Alice cooper satisfy your cuestion

a0001.jpg

Alice Cooper IS a corpse. We're talking about people who paint their faces to look corpse-like.

I think it would have to be King Diamond considering Mercyful Fate was formed 2 years earlier than Mayhem.

sumairetsu said:
Well, since you knocked down the option of Kiss...

You're no fun! :D

I'd have to go with King Diamond. He was the first person to use black and white makeup to look like a corpse.

He's not really black metal though he's more power metal.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I think King Diamond influenced the BM scene with the corpsepaint...
I concur. I don't know much about Sarcophago (if i even spelt that right) but King Diamond had his inconsistently upside down and rightside up crosses downpat. Man he kicks ass!

King Diamond's lyrics and stage pressence really paved the way for a lot of black metal artists though. I understand what you're saying but he still really helped the genre out.