Do you/would you wear corpse paint?

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
If you're in a band - do you wear corpse paint when you perform live. Obviously it depends on the style of music largely.

Also, if you WERE in a band - would you wear corpse paint?

I can't really decide, because it's such a cliche and I don't know if I'd be comfortable, but at the same time it's fun and might help you get in the mood.

What is your answer....and say WHY!!

I doubt if I were in a black metal band that I'd wear corpse paint. I've always thought of it as being kind of retarded. It seems to me that the corpse paint would just be annoying when you start sweating while you're playing a show. It's too much effort to put on and I feel that I'd get nothing out of wearing it. I don't feel the need to hide my face, nor do I think corpse paint looks cool for most part.

It might be fun to try once, but I don't think I could make it routine where I wear it for every show that I play...that's just too much effort and money going to something that doesn't feel rewarding to me. I feel the same way about those huge ass gauntlets and spikes...it seems like they'd just get in the way and interfere with my playing ability (unless I were just a singer). I'd rather just play my instrument than try to look cool or "grim".

I would not wear corpse paint. I think it may be a bit childish, or unnecessary at best. If I were in a band, it would probably not be black metal anyways, but rather death metal or post-thrash. But if I were in a black metal band, I would still not wear it. There is nothing wrong with not following trends.

I have a few times to concerts for Dark Funeral, and a few others... but no, I would not if I was in a band... not because it's overdone, but because it would take too much work and be greasy

When my band plays live we wear corpse paint (except mason). It's mainly to preserve what corpse paint originally stood for: a form of escapism to leave your former self when you play. Overall I'm really indifferent to it, but it certainly does help with uniformity/behaviour.

Hmmm... put a bonnett on your head and wear a pink dress... it's the same concept of corpse paint... you can escape who you truly are in favor of something else!

Yeah, I never take it off. The kids used to laugh, but one day when little Jimmy took it too far, he got a blast of my Ultrah-Satanic Death-ray. Now they're all afraid of my supah-satanic witchcraft.

I suppose I could if I felt it somehow added to the experience. This is how I see it: In black metal, the self is not important, but the beast within. To take focus off the self and picture death, suffering, violence etc spikes, corpse-paint and other things are used. Many, however, does not see this as I do, and even more just use corpse-paint 'because you're supposed to', or 'because every one else does it'.

I play in two bands, of which one has played live (Nasheim) on one occasion and I did not wear corpse-paint, the only person who did was the session-singer for a Mayhem cover, and personally I think corpsepaint and spikes is very fitting to old Mayhem.
Over all, Nasheim is not what I would call black metal, and we're not a live band, and none of us in the band feel that such items would benefit in any way, so we do not use them.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Yeah, I never take it off. The kids used to laugh, but one day when little Jimmy took it too far, he got a blast of my Ultrah-Satanic Death-ray. Now they're all afraid of my supah-satanic witchcraft.

:lol:

I wore corpsepaint... once. By the end of a show, I was so uncomfortable, sweaty, sticky and generally irritated by it that I vowed never to wear it again.

Besides, my band, while being "Symphonic Blackened-Death" according to one random observer (which is odd, because another random observer labelled us "Progressive Doomgrind... o-0) is not really the right style for the whole corpsepaint get up.

I would, but it would have to be well applied. It would have to actually suggest "corpse", not "badger" or "Weighing in at 90 pounds, in the very very truly black indeed shorts..."

I mean, when was the last time you saw a corpse that looked like Horgh?

Our band's drummer actually wanted us to apply exact KISS make up for our first preformance, but you can imagine that idea didn't get very far. I suppose I'd try it at least once at some point (As long as I don't have to look like Paul Stanley).