First Black Metal Band

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
No, no, no other way around. Venom is more speed metal and Mercyful Fate is more heavy metal. I consider these bands more of prototypes of black metal but not what defines the genre today.

oh ok, cool
i agree with that notion :kickass:

Listen to bands like Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Burzum, or Gorgoroth and tell me if they sound anything like Venom or Mercyful Fate. I don't consider bands like that black metal. I consider them early inspirations for the genre but definitely not as we know it today.

I don't care what you consider them because technically you're wrong. We all know that they don't sound like Burzum, but that's a pretty stupid reason to discount a band that came a DECADE earlier from the genre.

Definitely Bathory to respond to the actual question.

Mayhem didn't sound a lot like your average black metal when they started, in fact they never really did, but nowadays much of your average black metal sounds quite a bit like Mayhem. Except the objective fact that DMDS is better than everything else.

No, no, no other way around. Venom is more speed metal and Mercyful Fate is more heavy metal. I consider these bands more of prototypes of black metal but not what defines the genre today.
So what defines the genre today?

I can feel or hear the influence from the old bands in pretty much all second wave black metal, they just took it a step further.

fotmbm said:
So what defines the genre today?

I can feel or hear the influence from the old bands in pretty much all second wave black metal, they just took it a step further.

The only influence I hear from the so-called first wave of black metal is the lyrics and the image. I mean other bands had satanic lyrics as well such as Slayer. Do you consider them black metal? It seems like the only reason Venom is considered a black metal band is because they had a song called "black metal".

The only influence I hear from the so-called first wave of black metal is the lyrics and the image. I mean other bands had satanic lyrics as well such as Slayer. Do you consider them black metal? It seems like the only reason Venom is considered a black metal band is because they had a song called "black metal".

:rolleyes:

Why do you think Black Metal is called Black Metal?

*HINT: It has nothing to do with the colour of their shirts

Album, and well, I think you simply need to listen harder. Slayer is thrash metal.

No excuses, I'm fucking confused enough as it is.

One of the mystical things I find about you is your love of thrash DESPITE! your disinterest in alcohol. IT DOESN'T FUCKING MAKE SENSE!

PanzerKunt said:
My guess would be that they picked "black" to pronounce the gr1m and evölness, and the song Black Metal by Venom sucks shit.

I think the song Black Metal kicks ass but the band just isn't a black metal band. It's the same thing with power metal. Bands like Metallica and Anthrax were considered power metal bands back in the day and are now considered thrash. Also, with metal in general. People used to think Led Zeppelin was "metal" but the majority now thinks that they are a hard rock band that had an influence on metal but not what you'd call metal by todays standards.