First Black Metal Band

Necuratul said:
Sure they are.
Well, to be fair, Venom did coin the term, and their music was raw with mostly unclean vocals, though it is not black metal as we know it today, or even as it was known in the early 90s. However, Merciful Fate is no more than traditional heavy metal with satanic lyrics.

Life Sucks said:
Well, to be fair, Venom did coin the term, and their music was raw with mostly unclean vocals, though it is not black metal as we know it today, or even as it was known in the early 90s. However, Merciful Fate is no more than traditional heavy metal with satanic lyrics.

so what we are saying is mercyful fate has the black metal image, their lyrics are black metal, and were a black metal band when melissa was released but because of bands about 2 decades later sound different that mercyful fate they can't be black metal anymore?
i think just about every black metal band would consider mercyful fate to be at the top of the charts along with venom.

pfffft some people need to realize that mercyful were the kings of black metal and accept the role they had in the black metal community.

take a band like possessed or death for instance, they don't sound like the average death metal band but they are still considered to be death metal.

Beheaded823 said:
so what we are saying is mercyful fate has the black metal image, their lyrics are black metal, and were a black metal band when melissa was released but because of bands about 2 decades later sound different that mercyful fate they can't be black metal anymore?
i think just about every black metal band would consider mercyful fate to be at the top of the charts along with venom.

pfffft some people need to realize that mercyful were the kings of black metal and accept the role they had in the black metal community.

take a band like possessed or death for instance, they don't sound like the average death metal band but they are still considered to be death metal.
I said that Venom were considered black metal, and some of their material can be called black metal today, if you are stretching it. Mercyful Fate were never black metal. Their music is heavy metal with satanic lyrics. As we know, satanic lyrics alone don't make a band black metal. Deicide, Necrophobic, Sinister, etc. are death metal bands, and not black metal. Early Slayer was thrash and not black metal, despite the satanic lyrics. If Judas Priest had satanic lyrics, would we consider them black metal? NO. Mercyful Fate is no more than Judas Priest with an evil twist.

A band does not have to actually sound like the next generation of bands or have the specific sound that people regard as whatever the genre might be. A musically genre just does not form over night.

The Greys said:
A band does not have to actually sound like the next generation of bands or have the specific sound that people regard as whatever the genre might be. A musically genre just does not form over night.

True, they did help develop it quite a bit.

Life Sucks said:
I said that Venom were considered black metal, and some of their material can be called black metal today, if you are stretching it. Mercyful Fate were never black metal. Their music is heavy metal with satanic lyrics. As we know, satanic lyrics alone don't make a band black metal. Deicide, Necrophobic, Sinister, etc. are death metal bands, and not black metal. Early Slayer was thrash and not black metal, despite the satanic lyrics. If Judas Priest had satanic lyrics, would we consider them black metal? NO. Mercyful Fate is no more than Judas Priest with an evil twist.

I don't quite think you realize just how different Mercyful Fate were from NWOBHM bands.

ngro.jpg

Muahaahaa
I can go to sleep now.

Necuratul said:
I don't quite think you realize just how different Mercyful Fate were from NWOBHM bands.

I don't think you quite realize how different Mercyful Fate is from the average black metal band. Mercyful Fate definitely sounds closer to NWOBHM bands than most black metal bands.

MetalNoob said:
Venom to me create that idea of Black metal (well the name of it), satanic lyrics had already been used before. To me Venom is thrash.

I agree with this guy and Life Sucks

I say Bathory

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
I don't think you quite realize how different Mercyful Fate is from the average black metal band. Mercyful Fate definitely sounds closer to NWOBHM bands than most black metal bands.

Way to miss the fucking point, as usual.

Necuratul said:
Way to miss the fucking point, as usual.

Dude what WAS the point? I don't care what WAS considered black metal back in the day. Venom and Mercyful Fate are kickass bands but they aren't black metal and when you compare them to what MOST people consider black metal today they sound nothing alike. Just my opinion get over it.

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

What was Black Metal will always be Black Metal.

Well get to work on my signature then.

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Burzum - Burzum
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours
Artillery - Terror Squad
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Anael - On Wings Of Mercury
Venom - Black Metal
Tormentor - Anno Domini