First Black Metal Band

Times change as do opinions on genres. I don't care if you consider Venom and Mercyful Fate black metal but you aren't backing it up very logically other than saying "they once were considered black metal so they can't be un-considered black metal". There are countless bands that are considered black metal from 83 and up and they don't sound a damn thing like those bands.

All of the early work of all of those bands except Dark Funeral (actually I don't know at all because they're horrible as it is) have a distinctly first wave influence, including such bands as Mercyful Fate, Slayer, Sodom, Venom, etc. I don't know why you keep up with this since your argument is nothing short of retarded. The early days of Black Metal did not have a distinct sound, and that was one of the advantages of the scene. It bred a great deal of unique approaches to the same themes and ideas. The 90's tried to unify a sound loosely based on the archetypes of early 80's, and it has since been even further bastardized.

Your right. Most of those bands didn't even start out sounding like black metal. Those bands further established their sound into what we know as black metal. I do hear Venom influences in black metal bands but their sound is too different to logically be put under the same genre. You are aware that most of the metal sub-genres weren't established back then? Thrash, speed, and death metal weren't even genres then so Venom had to go under something. My arguement must be retarded even though I have yet to hear a logical arguement from you.

Like what? The only thing your supporting is the fact that Venom and Mercyful Fate influenced most black metal bands. Your also supporting the fact that black metal bands should all sound completely different thus defeating the purpose of putting it under the genre black metal.

Venom and Mercyful Fate's early works WERE and ARE Black Metal, and greatly influential to the further development and (what some would consider) "refinement" of the genre.

I would agree with him, actually...I guess they could have been considered BM then but things change. This could go both ways easily though.

No, I don't give a fuck that the genre changed after the fact, that doesn't change what the originators were.

Your basically supporting the fact that 2 bands that sound completely different than a bunch of other bands can be put under the same genre which kills the point of putting it under a certain sub-genre in the first place. (I know I said I was done arguing but I just had to say this :) )

I've already addressed that point on a number of occassions, so please just go away.

Necuratul said:

Is your sig your favourite albums ever? If so, I have to question the following:

a) Killers as being your Maiden selection.
b) Samael being among such illustrious company.

Carcassian said:
Is your sig your favourite albums ever? If so, I have to question the following:

a) Killers as being your Maiden selection.
b) Samael being among such illustrious company.

Don't see anything wrong with either of those choices. Though I wouldn't pick Worship Him as Samael's album to be honest. I like Blood Ritual better as far as their old style goes, and also belong to the minority of metal listeners who doesn't hate their new stuff (atleast up to and including Eternal).

Hey Dodens, which Countess album would you recommend as a good starting point to check them out?