First Black Metal Band

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
I think the song Black Metal kicks ass but the band just isn't a black metal band. It's the same thing with power metal. Bands like Metallica and Anthrax were considered power metal bands back in the day and are now considered thrash. Also, with metal in general. People used to think Led Zeppelin was "metal" but the majority now thinks that they are a hard rock band that had an influence on metal but not what you'd call metal by todays standards.

qft

Definitions and sensibilities constantly evolve. People used to think Elvis was extreme music, but now it would be comical to call Elvis extreme.

PanzerKunt said:
My guess would be that they picked "black" to pronounce the gr1m and evölness, and the song Black Metal by Venom sucks shit.
Who picked that? The almighty ruler of genre names and the distribution of such? I would rather say the exact name is all thanks to Venom and they picked it because it's metal and it's black and the song rules and so does the album.

About the Metallica/Power Metal comment: This was before power metal as we know it today existed, and it was kinda kool for bands (Well, labels at least) back then to define a new genre with each and every goddamn band.. Pretty much like today. Anyways, Metallica sure as hell was powerful metal which is what they meant, plus I can guarantee you that 95%+ of the modern power metal bands have listened to Metallica and their likes.

A REALLY GOOD TIP: Don't be a genre nazi. Genres are good for finding/avoiding music that is similar to and/or related to what you like/dislike, naming something wrong is merely stupid, not punishable by law. But then again I didn't get to make the rules.

Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, though I really don't understand why you insist to exclude Mercyful Fate and Venom. If you mean who was the first "mainstream" "BM" act to put the genre onto the world map as it is today, I'd have to say COF(sadly) and Emperor.

VadimVon said:
Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, though I really don't understand why you insist to exclude Mercyful Fate and Venom. If you mean who was the first "mainstream" "BM" act to put the genre onto the world map as it is today, I'd have to say COF(sadly) and Emperor.

Bathory has the ideal sound of black metal even today. (and I still consider Hellhammer and Celtic Frost to be inspirations but not actual black metal either) Once again, listen to Venom, Mercyful Fate, and Celtic Frost and tell me if they sound anything like Bathory, Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Immortal, Gorgoroth, etc. Once again those bands were "EARLY INSPIRATIONS" to the genre but shouldn't be considered black metal unless you insist on calling Mercyful Fate and Venom black metal and not any bands that we classify today as black metal.

does Tearstained count as a black metal band? they sure as hell have a lot of Mercyful Fate/KD influence! (disclaimer: I'm not trying to say that Tearstained was the first BM band :lol: just pointing out a connection between contemporary black metal and a "first wave" band)

fotmbm said:
Who picked that? The almighty ruler of genre names and the distribution of such? I would rather say the exact name is all thanks to Venom and they picked it because it's metal and it's black and the song rules and so does the album.

About the Metallica/Power Metal comment: This was before power metal as we know it today existed, and it was kinda kool for bands (Well, labels at least) back then to define a new genre with each and every goddamn band.. Pretty much like today. Anyways, Metallica sure as hell was powerful metal which is what they meant, plus I can guarantee you that 95%+ of the modern power metal bands have listened to Metallica and their likes.

A REALLY GOOD TIP: Don't be a genre nazi. Genres are good for finding/avoiding music that is similar to and/or related to what you like/dislike, naming something wrong is merely stupid, not punishable by law. But then again I didn't get to make the rules.

Hey I was simply stating my opinion. I don't consider Venom, Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost, and Hellhammer black metal. Your entitled to your own opinion on the matter.

Black metal was the same in the 80s as power metal. It had yet to be truly defined. Now that we have a handful of new black and power metal bands that sound nothing like the so-called first wave of both genres, I classify them as what sounds like what.

They didn't come into their sound for many years, so no. Fuck, that's the same as saying Mefisto.

Demilich said:
does Tearstained count as a black metal band? they sure as hell have a lot of Mercyful Fate/KD influence! (disclaimer: I'm not trying to say that Tearstained was the first BM band :lol: just pointing out a connection between contemporary black metal and a "first wave" band)

I thought they were BM. He's also heavily influenced by Bathory.

Venom started it. Sodom, and Hellhammer followed. Mercyful Fate is just heavy metal and yes i said Sodom cause In the Sign of Evil and Obssessed by Cruelity are black metal not thrash.

mercyful fate is black metal, and they are probably the best black metal band imo. i think more bands should sound like them, but not everyone is able to sing like the king. just because bands of today don't sound like them doesn't mean they aren't black metal anymore.

Beheaded823 said:
mercyful fate is black metal, and they are probably the best black metal band imo. i think more bands should sound like them, but not everyone is able to sing like the king. just because bands of today don't sound like them doesn't mean they aren't black metal anymore.

...A good new poster? Is this for real?

:kickass: