Second Wave of Thrash Metal (SWOTM)

Is the SWOTM dying out?

• Total voters

Phantasm (Band)

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2016
Santa Clarita, California
soundcloud.com
I've noticed that back in 2007, the SWOTM was a fairly big movement. With bands like Havok, Evile and Municipal Waste. My question is, could this wave be dying out? I personally think that some of these bands are still going strong, but not as mainstream as they used to be. The recent tour with Megadeth and Havok seemed like a good push for SWOTM, but it may not be the push it needed. As a thrash metal band, it is hard to find other local acts like us. Most of the other local bands are hardcore punk, yet their fans like our music a lot and often come to support us. What do you all think?

The fad is dying but there's still good new thrash coming out. I mean, even from a sheer quantity point it's hardly gone; according to M-A there have been 1624 new thrash albums since 2015, compared to 3230 death metal, 3356 black metal, and 771 power metal albums.

Reactions: Phantasm (Band)
Do Toxic Holocaust and Gama Bomb count in this? Love those two but most of what I think you mean by this is really bland most of the time.

Don't know about Gama Bomb, but Toxic Holocaust definitely don't count to me. He's been around since the late 90's.

I need to give Gama Bomb actually.

I've always seen Toxic Holocaust as the posterboy of the movement, but I don't really have a clue. Jesus why do I own like three albums by those suckers? So boring.

It has died out. Warbringer, Evile, Toxic Holocaust haven't released new tunes since 2013. For Bonded by Blood, Hexen, Municipal Waste it has been even longer. Havok seems to be the only band that is growing in fame, and it helps that Megadeth is taking them out on tour. I imagine there is a great level of frustration being in a semi-successful band like Evile or Warbringer where you get a taste of the fame but after a few years of opening and supporting bigger acts you are never able to make the leap to actually headline tours and festivals nor make enough money to live a comfortable life.

I almost decided to respond to this but since you're just being a drunken cunt...

Did they finally get your doorways expanded so you can fit back inside?

Oh look a fat joke. Who is the drunk faggot now? Where you were when I said the same thing about Clutch in the non metal themed mixtape game? Yeah, eat a dick