Modern Thrash Metal?

It went away because standard thrash was more of a middle passage towards death metal developing into a proper genre.
Actually it died off because of a few factors.
1. Grunge, glam also had the final nail in the coffin from this
2. It burned out, it didn't have anywhere else to go. It couldn't go anywhere without going to a different genre.

It had nothing to do with grunge, and if anything glam made thrash more popular by providing something to rail against.

How do you determine what is or is not a different genre? What makes groove metal not thrash metal?

Reactions: CiG
It had nothing to do with grunge, and if anything glam made thrash more popular by providing something to rail against.

How do you determine what is or is not a different genre? What makes groove metal not thrash metal?
Hmm point there. It is in a way.

You can't prove this since I'm obviously not talking about known thrash metal bands.

So you're talking about a minority of thrash/proto-death bands that were around in the scene early enough to become pioneers of death metal. Obviously to those bands, thrash was a stepping-stone to death metal. Too few bands fall into that category to make a claim about the fate of thrash metal in general based off of those few bands.

Death metal was a step towards metal's expired usefulness, which black metal completed.

I know the Pantera and Exhorder stuff although it's been years since I've heard them. I will listen to the videos you included and post my thoughts soon.

Reactions: Baroque
Lol 1999-2004 was the second Golden Age of death metal though.

Also this whole new wave of thrash is the most pathetic, uninspired, nostalgia thirsty garbage I've ever heard. Dirty kids pretending to be Exodus or whoever and spending tons of money on patches and bullet belts. But then again, I hate old school thrash too, so my opinion on it means exactly shit.

P.s. fuck Havok. I hope they roll their tour bus down the Grand Canyon.

Reactions: PWesselsArt
Disgorge, Deeds of Flesh, Devourment, Inveracity, Severe Torture, Pyaemia, Dying Fetus, etc. Larger name bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel were truly hitting their stride with breakthrough success while still being underground names. Tours spanned the globe and fests started taking off, namely Ohio and Maryland Deathfests among many others. It's not just about the bands, the underground death metal scene completely flourished in that time period. While yes, the birth of brutal death metal is a lot of what I'm referring to, especially the bands I listed, death metal as a whole experienced a resurgence at the turn of the century.

Lol 1999-2004 was the second Golden Age of death metal though.

Also this whole new wave of thrash is the most pathetic, uninspired, nostalgia thirsty garbage I've ever heard. Dirty kids pretending to be Exodus or whoever and spending tons of money on patches and bullet belts. But then again, I hate old school thrash too, so my opinion on it means exactly shit.

P.s. fuck Havok. I hope they roll their tour bus down the Grand Canyon.
Damn man, that's a little cold. But it's cool. And yes I noticed that second golden age of Death metal. Personally death has been a lot more innovative than Thrash in my opinion. And on my list Death is probably my second or third favorite heavy metal subgenre. But I have to ask, why do you hate old school thrash?

I just find it boring. I don't care for the music, the attitudes, the subculture, the imagery. All of it repels me. All the riffs sound exactly the same, it's slow and dull and hopelessly repetitive, and the vocals have no power.

I hate Havok because their drummer is a wannabe rockstar piece of shit who charged people money to be his drum tech for stops along a tour. That is the weakest bullshit I've ever heard in my life, the absolute antithesis of what underground metal is about.