Modern Thrash metal vs. NWOTHM?

I haven't heard much retro-trad notable on any of those fronts.

Thrash and extreme metal in general would have happened a little more slowly without Metallica, but with Welcome to Hell many essential elements already were there.
Well you're right they were already there. But do you think metal should be extreme? Or that thrash caught the spirit of what metal is supposed to be? I don't think it always needs to be fast. In my book just heavy and aggressive.

i don't think metal 'needs to' or is 'supposed to' be anything, but the desire to be heavier/darker/faster/uglier/'extremier' than what came before has at times led to great music being made, and it's a desire that preceded metallica and applies to plenty of '70s metal and proto-metal bands, including sabbath.

I don't metal is supposed to be anything other than a kind of rock music that relies predominantly on riffing styles pioneered by or derived from the commonly-attributed founders like Black Sabbath.

i don't think metal 'needs to' or is 'supposed to' be anything, but the desire to be heavier/darker/faster/uglier/'extremier' than what came before has at times led to great music being made, and it's a desire that preceded metallica and applies to plenty of '70s metal and proto-metal bands, including sabbath.
Ah I see. So what does the NWOTHM seek to accomplish then? Besides reminding us of what came before.

i kinda doubt any of the so-called NWOTHM bands grouped together and decided to create a new movement with some unified goal in mind. that kinda happened for trad doom with rev bizarre and friends, and second wave black metal in norway etc, but this just seems like a case of trad metal becoming more popular due to certain high profile bands doing well, certain publications praising them etc - these things become a bandwagon quite easily, especially with the easy access of the internet and the increased appeal of nostalgia lately. different bands that you're grouping in that movement are probably trying to accomplish different things. i imagine the majority of them are just trying to make music that they themselves would enjoy listening to, and trying to recapture the magic of the '80s that's been lost over the years. i don't get the impression they're trying to innovate anything.

i kinda doubt any of the so-called NWOTHM bands grouped together and decided to create a new movement with some unified goal in mind. that kinda happened for trad doom with rev bizarre and friends, and second wave black metal in norway etc, but this just seems like a case of trad metal becoming more popular due to certain high profile bands doing well, certain publications praising them etc - these things become a bandwagon quite easily, especially with the easy access of the internet and the increased appeal of nostalgia lately. different bands that you're grouping in that movement are probably trying to accomplish different things. i imagine the majority of them are just trying to make music that they themselves would enjoy listening to, and trying to recapture the magic of the '80s that's been lost over the years. i don't get the impression they're trying to innovate anything.
I do admit I enjoy Enforcer, Wolf, and Steelwing. I think they play stuff that they like themselves and want to stick true to their influences. If I do think they learned anything from past metal movements is how to make it sounder heavier and more aggressive. But with good production and a nice melody to go to it. I also think while we're on the subject of 80's magic. Do you think retro-thrash tried to accomplish the same thing?

A lot of this could be summarized unto two comps. Like Heavy Metal Killers or Thrashing like a Maniac comps? Both represented the resurgence of those two kinds of metal.

I really feel like Hexen may have been the Magnum Opus when it came to retro thrash. Could probably compete with Portrait.

Reactions: EspaDa
Also. In my book, there aren't too many bands in modern thrash who're doing anything different than what's been done 30 years ago. I mean sure there's HeXen (Rip), Vektor, and maybe Warbringer. A lot of these modern thrash bands from my time listening to them have a habit of sounding too much like what they were inspired by. Which leads to people saying "Oh Evile sounds too much like Metallica", or "Bonded By Blood sounds too much like Exodus", or "Municipal Waste sounds too much like DRI". I know a lot of bands have an issue with getting a defining sound that says "Hey this is so and so band right here and not another slayer copycat", but usually a lot of bands nail it on the second album to define the sound. If they're listening to criticism. I've noted less of that with the NWOTHM. Though I will say I don't like White Wizzard because they sound too much like Iron Maiden and haven't diverged from that fact. I can say Portait while they're good. Sound a little too much like Mercyful Fate. Well Mercyful Fate if they met Judas Priest painkiller era and had a baby. But it's hard not to make comparisons. Maybe I can say there's more bands in the NWOTHM that've diversified themselves well enough that they're distinct.