Modern Thrash Metal?

Maybe he expects something relatively new like 'djent'. Lol.
By new I mean something that sounds different in thrash. I mean I hear too much of the same and it gets repetitive, I mean sure you can djent, that doesn't mean I'm going to like it. Me personally I'd like to see some jazz/fusion elements in thrash, or hear some elements of power metal within it, and even a little prog metal influence in there to which has been done on occasion.

By new I mean something that sounds different in thrash. I mean I hear too much of the same and it gets repetitive, I mean sure you can djent, that doesn't mean I'm going to like it. Me personally I'd like to see some jazz/fusion elements in thrash, or hear some elements of power metal within it, and even a little prog metal influence in there to which has been done on occasion.

Have you listened to much prog or tech thrash? How about jazz death metal?

Have you listened to much prog or tech thrash? How about jazz death metal?
Yeah I've listened to it. The bands are good no lie about that, it's just I don't see too many of the modern thrash bands taking notes on some of this style and other styles in regards and it just feels like they're trying to relive a bygone era that kinda went away for a reason. I don't mind people doing thrash metal, I just like to hear some kind of evolution and adapting new skills to it. I thought Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss was the best album they wrote since Reign in Blood, hell I think it is better than Reign in Blood. Same thing with Megadeth's Rust in Peace and Youthanasia. I thought it showed they can do more with that formula instead of just be fast and brutal. Overkill tends to be different as well.

There are newer examples of music using classical song structures and composition anyway, and I'm not only referring to music that is a hybrid of classical elements and other genres. It isn't a totally dead musical movement by any means.

It could have been new to him

Okay.

Thrash is a proper subgenre, as is death metal.

A genre going away doesn't invalidate it as a genre. Unless you want to say classical era music is also not a genre.

I didn't say it wasn't a proper subgenre. The fact is, in thrash, death and black metal there's generally an emphasis on extremity. This lead to a rather large genre like thrash metal mostly evolving into death metal or black metal, either by bands changing style or by bands splitting up with members going off to form more extreme bands.

That's all I meant.

Okay.

I didn't say it wasn't a proper subgenre. The fact is, in thrash, death and black metal there's generally an emphasis on extremity. This lead to a rather large genre like thrash metal mostly evolving into death metal or black metal, either by bands changing style or by bands splitting up with members going off to form more extreme bands.

That's all I meant.

I mean thrash is also kind of an umbrella term with all of its subsubgenres, you could realistically argue that death and black are subgenres of thrash. Depending on the type of black metal though

I mean thrash is also kind of an umbrella term with all of its subsubgenres, you could realistically argue that death and black are subgenres of thrash. Depending on the type of black metal though

You would be wrong, because thrash is a paraphyletic group.

It went away because standard thrash was more of a middle passage towards death metal developing into a proper genre.

That's all I meant.

This is such a shit meme. By this logic, OSDM went away because it was a middle passage towards death metal developing into a proper genre.

You would be wrong, because thrash is a paraphyletic group.

Sorta but not really. It's very arbitrary when a significant portion of both death and black metal have more in common with thrash (e.g. Possessed, Bathory, Atheist) than the bands that removed all traces of it (e.g. Mayhem, Burzum, Immolation). In effect, there are many death and black metal bands that have meaningless roots in thrash, but there are other piggyback-death/black bands that get the label by slapping a few superficial elements of extreme metal onto thrash riffing.

This is such a shit meme. By this logic, OSDM went away because it was a middle passage towards death metal developing into a proper genre.

I mean, what you say doesn't even have any historical backing. How many thrash bands turned to death or black metal, aside from a handful of Rigor Mortis' (NY) or Burnt Offerings or whatever? A portion of thrash metal bands engaged in an extremity arms race, many did not. The majority of bands in both thrash and death metal either changed sound or died by the mid 90s; the sudden dearth of thrash bands was immediately accompanied by death metal bands similarly signed to Roadrunner and whatnot. It's just that a new younger wave of death metal bands carried on from there. Atheist, Pestilence, Death, Cynic, Autopsy, Massacre, Entombed, Nocturnus, Atrocity, Disharmonic Orchestra, Tiamat, Amorphis, Sentenced, Carcass, etc all stopped playing death metal after approximately 1993.

I see it everywhere. Tons of death metal or black metal musicians that were first in thrash metal bands. You brought up Autopsy, well Reifert was in Burnt Offerings before Death and Autopsy.

Just one example. I didn't just say that thrash metal bands changed styles, I also said thrash metal musicians also changed the bands they wanted to play in.

I see it everywhere. Tons of death metal or black metal musicians that were first in thrash metal bands. You brought up Autopsy, well Reifert was in Burnt Offerings before Death and Autopsy.

Just one example. I didn't just say that thrash metal bands changed styles, I also said thrash metal musicians also changed the bands they wanted to play in.

I already mentioned Burnt Offering as an exception. Most thrash musicians (especially from the major bands) stuck with thrash until 1993, just as most early death metal musicians stuck with death metal until 1993. In general, the more common result is that the musicians simply got out of music when they hit their 30s, had families, and couldn't make a living touring any longer. That's why the handful of bands still signed to larger metal labels (Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, sorta-Obituary) managed to keep going. It had nothing to do with thrash metal having expended its purpose and being replaced by more extreme music.