Second Wave of Thrash Metal (SWOTM)

Is the SWOTM dying out?

• Total voters
Toxic Holocaust were distinctly better on their first two or three albums.

I still don't think they count though, they're too early. Merciless Death were a part of it though and they've just recently returned, but people are massively split on them.

It has died out. Warbringer, Evile, Toxic Holocaust haven't released new tunes since 2013. For Bonded by Blood, Hexen, Municipal Waste it has been even longer. Havok seems to be the only band that is growing in fame, and it helps that Megadeth is taking them out on tour. I imagine there is a great level of frustration being in a semi-successful band like Evile or Warbringer where you get a taste of the fame but after a few years of opening and supporting bigger acts you are never able to make the leap to actually headline tours and festivals nor make enough money to live a comfortable life.

Yeah, it's like retro thrash is entering the 90's phase. There are still a handful of bands carrying the torch but their releases are becoming more sporadic and progressive, and we're getting more quality retro death now (Gruesome, Skeletal Remains).

It's unfortunate that even though many of these bands have been on big tours and even sold plenty of albums they're still struggling to continue living as musicians. Sign of the economy and our system perhaps.

Of the bands you mentioned Havok, Warbringer and Bonded by Blood are all working on new albums, but yeah agreed there was a few year lull there. Hexen called it quits, Fueled by Fire is still in the lull. Hatchet and Exmortus are raging on. Vektor is somewhat active.

Reactions: zerostatic
They mostly all suck massive balls. That's the problem.

Deathhammer might count and they're still going 110% strong in my opinion. Though they'd hate being included I'm sure.

They mostly all suck massive balls. That's the problem.

Gtfo, the bands mentioned saved thrash from its horrible death around 22 years ago, and have released the best thrash since that time. Better than anything released by the big 4 since then that's for sure. Maybe it's no ride the lightning but some of us get tired of listening to the same music on repeat, and the genre needs new releases to survive. There's certainly some quality retro thrash out there.

Controversial opinion? Municipal Waste was one of the most important players in the early retro thrash scene.

Gtfo, the bands mentioned saved thrash from its horrible death around 22 years ago, and have released the best thrash since that time. Better than anything released by the big 4 since then that's for sure. Maybe it's no ride the lightning but some of us get tired of listening to the same music on repeat, and the genre needs new releases to survive. There's certainly some quality retro thrash out there.

Controversial opinion? Municipal Waste was one of the most important players in the early retro thrash scene.
The retro-thrash movement is a farce, fuck the entire thing.

In the mainstream, sure. But there were always underground thrash metal bands during the slump era of the middle-to-late 90's. For example, Gehennah, Aura Noir, Audiopain, Sabbat (Japan) etc.

Though I suppose most of those bands aren't really what you're into.

Reactions: Master_Yoda77
Gruesome is some pretty damn good Death worship. I got to see them play two sets at MDF and they absolutely killed it. Though it's still just worship and not as good as the older Death material they are emulating. I wouldnt call it boring, but it really isnt anything too special. I still eat this shit up as a death metal fan though; you can only listen to the classics so much before you want something new.

I remember seeing Municipal Waste make their rounds before really seeing a big revival of thrash acts, so it is definitely possible that they helped kickstart the trend. Id still consider them 3rd rate party thrash though.

Yeah, I feel the same as well. Ozz has been on a roll lately with his opinions. Sometimes I even think we'd have fun getting drunk and blasting some stupid old death metal together, and then I turn on Manilla Road and he puts on Jungle Rot and then we celebrity death match it up and he ends up crushing me with his excessive body weight.

We aren't bashing thrash.

We're (or at least I am) bashing shitty retro-thrash. Fifteenth-tier thrash that compositionally is the musical incarnate of an old man with an old uniform on, gut hanging out, trying to keep living his long lost glory days; with clinical crystal-clear production that saps the balls right out of it.

How people enjoy this queer shit, but give me flack for DSBM, is beyond me. The 80s are gone; just enjoy the good the 80s brought us, stop trying to relive and ruin it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
We aren't bashing thrash.

We're (or at least I am) bashing shitty retro-thrash. Fifteenth-tier thrash that compositionally is the musical incarnate of an old man with an old uniform on, gut hanging out, trying to keep living his long lost glory days; with clinical crystal-clear production that saps the balls right out of it.

How people enjoy this queer shit, but give me flack for DSBM, is beyond me. The 80s are gone; just enjoy the good the 80s brought us, stop trying to relive and ruin it.

Couldn't you say the same for the retro death though? I like the retro thrash, but I only recently rekindled my interest in it.