New Wave of Thrash

Caveman Ninja

It's a carnival... of monsters!
Sep 11, 2008
Dolph Lundgren's Secret Island
Having tried to get into the most recent Anthrax album and being bored of it after a couple of weeks I have to say that I think I'll stick to the new Evile album and Havok's latest Time Is Up. Never thought I'd say it but in terms of recent output I'm preferring the new wave thrash bands to the old ones... Bonded by Blood, Havok, Vektor to name just a few who have put out great albums in the last year or two. Compared the the recent albums by all of the big 4 or Testament, Exodus, Forbidden, Flotsam and Jetsam I'll take the new wave any day. Formation of Damnation got massive praise when it came out but to me it's a bit bland compared to Testament's earlier albums. It doesn't really even have any truly devastating thrash riffs on it, it sacrificed them in order to be heavy as possible (which I find a bit boring).

Funny, I never thought I'd be thinking this way. The new wave bands got criticised when thrash got popular again for not having their own sound or character or original style. I think those bands are now maturing and finding their own individual sound a bit more now and I'm finding the scene really quite interesting at the moment!

The new Megadeth sounds like it's going to be rubbish, the Metallica project is ridiculous, Anthrax's was too radio-friendly, Slayer haven't released anything great for years, Testament want to be too heavy, Forbidden's Omega Wave was mediocre, Flotsam and Jetsam let's not even talk about, Defiance's reunion album was rubbish, ditto Sacrilege...

The mantle of thrash is now quite firmly in the new generation's hands...

Thus far, I've liked every new song I've heard from Megadeth. Granted, they've become more melodic so I've really enjoyed their recent output. They're still using pleanty of jazz chords and speedy riffs, blazing solos, so it's not like they've changed dramatically from Rust in Piece or Peace Sells.

The new Metallica project does seem like it's going to be bad, but we'll see. It'll sell it's usual million copies regardless. They could sell a CD full of static and it would still go gold. I did enjoy Death Mag though. The second half of Day That Never Comes would not have been out of place on Puppets or Justice.

Thrash has been growing stale as a genre since Pantera came out because you can only do so much within Thrash. I've heard a number of new thrash bands, and they sound basically like Reign or Puppets with a modern production. Either that or they sound like Trivium, and I've never considered them "thrash".

What constitutes "thrash metal" is a fine line. Go too far in one direction, you're power metal or hard rock, too much in another and you're death metal.

Going back to the stale thing: I can only hear a clutch-riff in E so many times.

Warbringer and Municipal Waste are great. Evile is good too. and I agree, all these new bands are doing way better then anyone in the Big 4

Personally I prefer Warbringer and MW live rather than on record, but that's just me. No denying that Warbringer's latest is a decent record though!

Pounding, check out Vektor for a band redefining the parameters of the genre. Also try Havok's latest, no joke, it's better than anything Megadeth have released for years. I don't agree that Megadeth are doing the same thing now that they were on Rust or Peace Sells. Their sound and songwriting got way more commercial on Countdown and has never gone back. There are still some thrashy songs (Sleepwalker is a beast!) but the bulk of stuff is more melodic. I liked Endgame a lot, but the two songs so far from the new record sound way too commercial Megadeth for my taste (I thought this would happen as they're not working with Sneap, who I happen to know really had to use psychology and mind games to get Mustaine using the fast thrashy riffs).

You may have heard a number of new thrash bands and written them off but were they first or second albums? Because I really feel these bands are reaching a new level of maturity at the moment. Also, how many of their albums have you actually sat down and paid attention to from start to finish? It's all very well checking out one song while you're reading the internet and go "sounds a bit like Slayer" but I defy you to sit down and listen to the latest Havok album from start to finish, taking in every song and not be impressed by the diversity of the songs, the technical riffs and the overall level of brutality... It's an excellent album, better than Endgame, better than Death Magnetic, and in general I liked those albums quite a lot.

Evile's new one improves with every listen too. They get criticised for sounding like Metallica, and maybe to an extent they do, but the songwriting is darker and really they're writing songs like Metallica don't anymore; they sound hungrier and more interested and driven than Metallica ever will again. Like I say, I liked Death Magnetic, but do I ever feel the urge to listen to it two years down the line? Not really...

Also, I don't consider Pantera to be a thrash band. They had some thrashy songs but in the main they were a groove band. Unfortunately groove bores me senseless.

I don't think thrash has grown stale at all. In fact I think all these new bands are kicking it in the arse good and hard!

Having tried to get into the most recent Anthrax album and being bored of it after a couple of weeks I have to say that I think I'll stick to the new Evile album

I think Anthrax effort is really good, considering what they have made since POT.

And yes the new Evile I think it's more mature than the debut or the second one which I found boring.

The new Megadeth sounds like it's going to be rubbish, the Metallica project is ridiculous, Anthrax's was too radio-friendly, Slayer haven't released anything great for years, Testament want to be too heavy, Forbidden's Omega Wave was mediocre,

Megadeth I think it'll be like the last one and thus good.

Anyone still cares for Popallica?...

Anthrax (again) is a decent effort.

I never cared for Slayer.

Testament was indeed excesively raw for them, I stick to "Low" any given day.

Forbidden was also meh, but they never were a great band.

What about Heathen? Their comeback is stellar to say the least, and Death Angel still put average music out there ("The Art of Dying" is a masterpiece, although the last two are weak), and Paradox still kick ass (hope they have a new album soon).

A lot of newer bands are doing it right (I hope Thrashist Regime goes on that path ;)). I think there's no need to compare newer band to classic, both are doing they're share.

Since we're mentioning new bands here: Blatant Disarray, Brute Force, Invection, Savage Messiah, Urto, Abandoned really got me.

Good shout on Heathen, I actually meant to mention them in my original post as the one only one of the old guard whose most recent album has actually blown me away! The last 3 Death Angel for me have all been ok, but not brilliant.

I'll check out your recommendations! Thanks. Always looking for new thrash. Also if you haven't heard Mutant's four-track Laserdrome EP then you're missing out. Aside from Vektor it may be my favourite recent thrash release. Praying for an album by them...

I just feel like the older bands still get revered even though they're stale nowadays while the newer generation get written off for copying their elders, which really isn't the case. They deserve more credit and are worth more people's time.

I'll check out your recommendations Caveman.

Have you heard of Arkayic Revolt? They're local guys we've played with a half-dozen times. Really good old school thrash with a bit of modern stylings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out both Evile (good god does their singer ever sound like Araya) and Havok. Havok are the Metallica album they never recorded. I really like it, but I'm not overly crazy about the vocals. Like I said though, these songs could have been recorded in 1988. Thrash is a very limiting genre. I might have just chosen badly representative songs, but neither of these bands are doing anything that hasn't been done by Slayer or Metallica before.

I'm not saying there are no good new thrash bands - far from it - but I haven't heard anything that would have been groundbreaking in the late 80s.

Frankly I find Metallica's Death Magnetic to be some of the best they've ever done, and I don't know if their new Lou Reed thing can really be called Metallica. (But it does indeed sound terrible)

Megadeth's Endgame is solid, sounds like TH1RT3EN will be about as good...
Slayer's latest is easily their best since Seasons IMO.

With that said however, none of those albums are exactly mind-blowing, and there's many others as you've said that have just been straight up bad...
But no, I haven't paid enough attention to all these new Thrash bands, for the exact reasons you listed, I'll try to listen to them more from now on.

Amazing album. The newer ones are ok but they don't come close to Heresy...

Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth

I started with Paradox the reverse way with "Riot Squad". I'm amazed on how heavy and technical the band is.

Obviously I started to track down the previous albums, "Electrify" is damn good too and I was amazed by "Heresy". I was expecting rawer stuff and got punched by the melodic conceptual approach of the album.

Needless to say "Product Of Imagination"it's on my way. Sadly "Collision Course" hasn't been re-issued and the available copies are expensive.

I most probably gonna take on Evile new one too.

I'll check out your recommendations Caveman.

Have you heard of Arkayic Revolt? They're local guys we've played with a half-dozen times. Really good old school thrash with a bit of modern stylings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGnI-VVnBBk

Yeah man, I like them a lot! They sent me their first EP after finding me on myspace and it's really good. I played it on the show quite a lot actually! I like Death's River too, though I didn't think it quite lived up to the promise of Undead Man Walking. I like Fatality's Beers From the Grave too, some good stuff on that though the production isn't brilliant...

I checked out both Evile (good god does their singer ever sound like Araya) and Havok. Havok are the Metallica album they never recorded. I really like it, but I'm not overly crazy about the vocals. Like I said though, these songs could have been recorded in 1988. Thrash is a very limiting genre. I might have just chosen badly representative songs, but neither of these bands are doing anything that hasn't been done by Slayer or Metallica before.

I'm not saying there are no good new thrash bands - far from it - but I haven't heard anything that would have been groundbreaking in the late 80s.

Which Evile did you listen to? Matt Drake's vocals are quite different from album to album... he's much better at actual singing now I think. The first album is kind of a straight cross between Slayer and Metallica, but it's more fun than either and has a really bouncy feel. The songwriting is pretty good too. The second album is much, much darker and far more ambitious, with a lot more slow parts. It's quite dense and feels impenetrable at times but they certainly added a massive dark element to their sound and it's quite a rewarding album if you put the time in. The new one is more accessible and is a bit dark but quite thrashy. I'm enjoying it and they've definitely got their own sound!

The Havok album, like I said it's not really representable by a single song, so checking out a couple of tracks doesn't give a true impression of the magnitude of the album. I checked out a couple a few months ago and enjoyed them but didn't have a proper listen all the way through until a few weeks ago. You need to listen to the whole thing three times through, and you'll be loving it. Like I said, it's quite diverse, with some really melodic bits, some totally brutal bits and plenty in-between. I'm also really digging the vocals a whole lot. The guy has a great high-pitched shrieky rasp that I love! But he also tries a few things through the course of the album - try the chorus in Killing Tendencies. I don't think it's fair to say they really sound like Metallica... It's thrash and it might not be breaking down musical barriers (and why should it have to?) but they've got their own identity, no doubt about it.

And for a band who are pushing the boundaries, you have to try Vektor's Black Future. Again, it needs three listens, all the way through. It's their debut and it is totally incredible, ambitious, epic, brutal, melodic, very very technical... it's massive. It's my favourite album of the last decade. I've listened to it so many times. Devastatingly good!

Frankly I find Metallica's Death Magnetic to be some of the best they've ever done, and I don't know if their new Lou Reed thing can really be called Metallica. (But it does indeed sound terrible)

Megadeth's Endgame is solid, sounds like TH1RT3EN will be about as good...
Slayer's latest is easily their best since Seasons IMO.

With that said however, none of those albums are exactly mind-blowing, and there's many others as you've said that have just been straight up bad...
But no, I haven't paid enough attention to all these new Thrash bands, for the exact reasons you listed, I'll try to listen to them more from now on.

I didn't mind Death Magnetic but the production is disgusting and the songwriting for me is lacklustre compared to the old days and Kirk is being outshredded x 1000000 by Ol Drake from Evile, David DiSanto and the rest of the younger guys!

I still don't think Megadeth's new one is going to touch Endgame, which in turn doesn't touch Rust In Peace...

Woh......"Omega Wave" is among the best records released over the past 5 years.....and is nearly flawless! (To these ears at least. And I'm not a 'fanboy' as this is my first Forbidden album!)

I love Forbidden. Twisted Into Form is as good an album as exists anywhere in the world, and their debut is great too. I did a 26-hour round trip on a bus to see them last year. They changed their sound in line with the musical climate at the time on Distortion and Green and I don't really enjoy those two. But I had really high hopes for Omega Wave. It has some really good stuff (Adapt or Die, Hopenosis, Dragging My Casket, Omega wave) but about half the album I could easily leave. Overthrow is rubbish, and Swine doesn't do much for me either. Still live in hope that the next one might blow my mind though!

I started with Paradox the reverse way with "Riot Squad". I'm amazed on how heavy and technical the band is.

Obviously I started to track down the previous albums, "Electrify" is damn good too and I was amazed by "Heresy". I was expecting rawer stuff and got punched by the melodic conceptual approach of the album.

Needless to say "Product Of Imagination"it's on my way. Sadly "Collision Course" hasn't been re-issued and the available copies are expensive.

I most probably gonna take on Evile new one too.

Heresy is one of my favourite albums. Pretty perfect melodic slightly-tech thrash! Product isn't quite as mature, though still not a terrible album.

Everyone should also check out Mutant's Laserdrome EP too. It's bloody brilliant!

The first album is kind of a straight cross between Slayer

I felt the same about the debut, too Slayeresque to me, due which I seldom listen to it.

The second album is much, much darker and far more ambitious, with a lot more slow parts. It's quite dense and feels impenetrable

Actually read boring. As the debut was too raw for my taste, the sophomore was uninspiring and tiresome.

I most probably gonna get the new one, based on 2-3 spins I gave to the download so far.

i can't believe i see people bashing FLOTSAM AND JETSAM. their 2 most recent albums, DREAMS OF DEATH and THE COLD, were great.

also unless i missed it no one mentioned the 1 thrash band that always releases great albums since the 80's and continue to release great albums today OVERKILL.

also even though rob dukes sounds generic as hell EXODUS are still releasing good stuff

Are you joking? The most recent F&J album was mind-bogglingly awful.

Some of the newer Exodus is ok. But not much. Rob Dukes kind of kills them for me, and their songs have got way too long and repetitive in recent years.

Overkill, not much of a fan. Apart from Horrorscope, that is a magic album to be fair...

Are you joking? The most recent F&J album was mind-bogglingly awful.

Some of the newer Exodus is ok. But not much. Rob Dukes kind of kills them for me, and their songs have got way too long and repetitive in recent years.

Overkill, not much of a fan. Apart from Horrorscope, that is a magic album to be fair...

guess we'll have to agree to disagree. most F&J fans consider the 2 new albums the best thing they've done since the early 90's. what did you not like about them?

Flotsam's The Cold was my favorite album of 2010. It IS a great album, and was quite the unexpected surprise for me last year...especially after hearing Accept's Blood of the Nations (my #2). Easily their best since Cuatro.

Flotsam's The Cold was my favorite album of 2010. It IS a great album, and was quite the unexpected surprise for me last year...especially after hearing Accept's Blood of the Nations (my #2). Easily their best since Cuatro.

blood of nations was better than the cold imo