new big 4 of thrash

Well, I thought Distortion was good. It was a more straightfoward thrash style musically. They did 21st Century Schizoid Man(King Crimson) rather well. Russ sang a little more in the harsh vein on that one, and the Green album, which is decent. But their first 2, especially Twisted Into Form are so good. And yeah, Wyvern, I've heard the Orginization. It's not bad. They do pretty good vocal harmonies on it. I can't remember...which song had the guy pukeing on it?

yeah i have twisted into form and forbidden evil. so get distortion but not green?

btw whats up with all the pantera bashing in this thread? one of the few newer bands at the time to keep real metal alive through the 90's

btw whats up with all the pantera bashing in this thread? one of the few newer bands at the time to keep real metal alive through the 90's

Will all due respect nothing can be more far from the truth they are the origin of mallcore, nothing real about them. And quoting Steve Kachinsky from Steel Prophet on the booklet of "Into The Void (hallucinogenic conceptions)" from 1997:
...to Pantera and their numerous clones-thanks a lot for helping kill off the metal scene with your "grooves"!
And I agree personally with Steve 101% :worship:

NP: Pharaoh - 'Speak to Me'

Out of interest...where do you all place bands like Machine Head (ignore their terrible middle albums), Death Angel, Pantera? Do they qualify as thrash? Or are they just good ol' metal?

Death Angel are thrash metal for sure. Pantera and Machine Head are modern metal with some groove but they dont count as thrash.

Will all due respect nothing can be more far from the truth they are the origin of mallcore, nothing real about them. And quoting Steve Kachinsky from Steel Prophet on the booklet of "Into The Void (hallucinogenic conceptions)" from 1997: And I agree personally with Steve 101% :worship:

:err:

Pantera did bring on some groove and bands trying to copy them but how would that kill metal? By the way, some early Machine Head definately points to some Pantera influence. This topic has been done to death but the origin of nu-metal (what I think you mean by mallcore) was Faith No More then Korn than really Pantera. I do not think it is a fair argument that Pantera brought on that scene just because they were big in the 90s. If Pantera brought on nu-metal, Sepultura did as well according to that logic.

I own Death Angel's Act III and I thought it was alright but nothing special.

I think Slayer were the best out of the thrash 4. In regards to a new big 4 in thrash, I say why bother? Make some new metal genres than trying to revive thrash metal.

Will all due respect nothing can be more far from the truth they are the origin of mallcore, nothing real about them. And quoting Steve Kachinsky from Steel Prophet on the booklet of "Into The Void (hallucinogenic conceptions)" from 1997: And I agree personally with Steve 101% :worship:

what the hell is this mallcore crap everyone keeps saying? metal for mall kids? i don't understand. if the album coboys from hell doesn't get you banging your head you must be dead or deaf

Mallcore is a derogratory term pointing to trendy metal that mall-going teenagers listen to. In the past it was nu-metal and now it can be used to describe emo/metal-core bands.

Mallcore is a derogratory term pointing to trendy metal that mall-going teenagers listen to. In the past it was nu-metal and now it can be used to describe emo/metal-core bands.

thats not fair or accurate to describe pantera that way. in the late 80's/early 90's whent hey started playing groove metal the average fan were 20 year old rednecks. it wasn't until the end on their career/dimebag dying that kids at the mall even knew who they were

if the album coboys from hell doesn't get you banging your head you must be dead or deaf

Got news for you, I'm alive and according to my last audiometry mi hearing is perfect and CFH disgust me inmensely :puke:

Here of course we have an irrversible divergency of opinions. Pantera did nothing but hurt the scene IMO, mallcore is the proper term there not such thing as nu-metal, because THAT'S NOT METAL!
Obvioulsy I won't twist my arm and you are not going to either. So let it go, I'm not gonna waste more of my time on this discussion.

NP: "Вольная стая - Русская Рулетка"

If you can only get one of the Forbidden albums, Distortion is a better album. But, Green is a good album. Just don't go in with FE, or TIF expectations, because they're a bit different. I myself like Distortion a lot.

Got news for you, I'm alive and according to my last audiometry mi hearing is perfect and CFH disgust me inmensely :puke:

Here of course we have an irrversible divergency of opinions. Pantera did nothing but hurt the scene IMO, mallcore is the proper term there not such thing as nu-metal, because THAT'S NOT METAL!
Obvioulsy I won't twist my arm and you are not going to either. So let it go, I'm not gonna waste more of my time on this discussion.

NP: "Вольная стая - Русская Рулетка"

heres the definition of mallcore:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mallcore

not even close to pantera or what they represented

If you can only get one of the Forbidden albums, Distortion is a better album. But, Green is a good album. Just don't go in with FE, or TIF expectations, because they're a bit different. I myself like Distortion a lot.

thanks

Hmmmm..... I don't know. I don't think there is a "big four." Metal music has become so splintered with sub-genres and the information age allows access to so many different bands, I don't know if there will ever be bands as dominant as those four in the future.
I for one, listen to quite a bit of powermetal and prog-metal as far as new bands. My favorite newer "thrash style" band is probably fellow UMOS poster BaldyBoy's band Panic Cell. I really am not one to try and pick a big four, but I really don't think they exist in this day and age.

Bryant

Well, they did have a New Titans on the Block tour back in 93-94, consisting of thrash bands. I know Sacred Reich was one of the bands.

I think they were called the "Big Four" because they sold the most records. To claim random thrash bands as a new big four is just silly.
The Big Four are still probably the biggest sellers, with the exception of Anthrax which is ironic since they're even more about selling out for cash than even Metallica.
Of the big four, only Megadeth are still relevant and they were always my least liked of them all. But at least Mustaine can still rock like a bastard.

Yeah, I have the same opinion as you on Mustaine. There's a few Megadeth albums that were too slick for my tastes in the mid 90's, but Mr. Mustaine proved that he can still come up with the riffs. To me, he's in the top 5 of all time when it comes to great riffs.

I hate when bands are catalogued according to their sales. To me it's about the music not the number of albums sold. My opinion of course.