Top 5

MetalMilitia

New Metal Member
Nov 4, 2003
spring texas
Visit site
alright, i know this may sound cheesy...but im in full force discovery mode of thrash and metal in general...so if my list is cheesy, give me some kick ass bands...

1. slayer
2. testament
3. flotsam and jetsam
4. annihilator
5. sepultura

Big Bang Babies
Alleycat Scratch
Faster Pussycat
Pretty Boy Floyd
The Bang Gang

This should be the top 5 "must hear" bands for every thrash metal fan :D

Yeah on a more serious note (obviously I was kidding about those other bands so don't go downloading I Wanna Be With You by Pretty Boy Floyd expecting thrash hahaha)...

Overkill, Megadeth and early Anthrax are all awesome... and steering a bit away from thrash more into the heavy metal thing, try "Painkiller" album by Judas Priest... heavy as hell and quite thrashy at times but awesome classic heavy metal!

Also some of the thrashier power metal bands like Iced Earth and Primal Fear are worth checking out.

The Trooper said:
Yeah on a more serious note (obviously I was kidding about those other bands so don't go downloading I Wanna Be With You by Pretty Boy Floyd expecting thrash hahaha)...

Overkill, Megadeth and early Anthrax are all awesome... and steering a bit away from thrash more into the heavy metal thing, try "Painkiller" album by Judas Priest... heavy as hell and quite thrashy at times but awesome classic heavy metal!

Also some of the thrashier power metal bands like Iced Earth and Primal Fear are worth checking out.

i have painkiller :cool:
have you heard anything from jugulator? it's like painkiller, but WAY heavier...

i have a couple of iced earth cds...and i don't really like primal fear...

so...list of bands i need to check out...

Exodus
Nuclear Assault
Agent Steel
Forbidden
Overkill
Destruction
Sodom
Vio-lence
Kreator

christ...i got some work to do... :D

MetalMilitia said:
alright, i know this may sound cheesy...but im in full force discovery mode of thrash and metal in general...so if my list is cheesy, give me some kick ass bands...

1. slayer
2. testament
3. flotsam and jetsam
4. annihilator
5. sepultura

Check out
Hallows Eve
Diamond Head
Venom
CandleMass
and ummmm lol everybody else has it covered from here :p

Fear Of God ("Within The Veil" is still my alltime fave)

Anacrusis (recommended albums: "Suffering Hour" and "Reason")

Hexenhaus ("A Tribute To Insanity")

Znowhite (I think their EPs aren´t really impressive, but their only full-length album "Act Of God" is an excellent thrash album)

Voivod ("Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatröss", "Nothingface")

Hm, I guess none of the bands I just mentioned (maybe except for Znowhite) would actually be classified as "old school" (though all of the albums I´ve mentioned are at least 12 years old), but listen for yourself - if you manage to find their albums anywhere! (I think most of them are long since out of print - except for Voivod´s.)

1. Mushroomhead
2. Mudvayne
3. Slipknot
4. KoRn
5. Godsmack

Honorable mentions:

Linkin Park
Limp Bizkit
Staind
Trapt
Saliva

If your looking for more oldschool stuff in addition to all of the great suggestions already listed, check out Exciter, Riot, Helstar, Raven, Armored Saint, the first 3 Manowar albums, Trouble, Pentagram, Sanctuary, Angel Witch, etc., the list goes on. Probably the most essential ones mentioned so far are Slayer, old Metallica, Mercyful Fate and Megadeth. I wish I could hear all of those for the first time again...have fun!