new big 4 of thrash

Without a doubt Metallica, their first 4 albums influenced so many even if they sold outafter AFJA(or RTL however gay you are!) they are easily a top4. I'd say Kreator and easily the best outta the German movement..and after taht it's basically really open to opinion, because the rest of the the thrash bands have a max of 2 good albums and there's like 140000 bands like that

The big 4 was the big 4 because of sales, and they were pretty much the first that got attention for the new sound they started. But I'm sure a lot of us here agree that Anthrax was the first of those 4 that pissed a lot of us off, with their goof-off rap shit.

So just wondering, what 4 thrash bands would you all consider that deserve that status?

all time, as far as bands staying metal. that would be hard

in this order

1 metallica (for their influence but became crap in the late 90's)
2 megadeth
3 testament (for keeping true to metal)
4 slayer (for also always playing metal)
5 anthrax (on popularity they get this high on the list)
6 flotsam and jetsam
7 overkill
8 exodus (would be higher but they broke up for a long time)

I must be the only one, but i've never been woo'd by a MegaDave album. Testament def has stayed metal but I don't consider their releases that strong even though I like them

I want to personally apologise for not being on here more its been a crazy 2 going on 3 years working my bum off at Camp Atterbury supporting everything from OIF to Afghanistan to the KFOR stuff. When one thing gets done on the TNG cycle here comes something else. So to get back on topic. I would say of the new bands i dig i like Municipal Waste, Merciless Death, Toxic Holocaust (i really dig this band! Saw em live with Hate Eternal in louisville), Demiricous, and a really good good crossover blackened thrash band that comes here a bit from Toledo Ohio called SkeletonWitch they are a realy good band then theres a good metalcore/thrash band from Indiana i dig called Year Of Desolation hey guys take care i gotta work a 12 hour night shift for a week and i will be back cheers guys/gals and be cool! Kmadd \m/

Nice post ... nice idea but not Flotsam & Jetsam ... rather Kreator or Destruction?

I'm with ya! When I think Thrash to this day, honestly what comes to mind first for me is Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, even VoiVod, etc...the darker/gnarlier early stuff that I gravitated towards when it hit the states. That isn't to say the Big-4 weren't Thrash as well - at least early on - but I just identified more with the former.

On the big German 3. Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" I think is almost as good as Reign In Blood. I do not own any Sodom albums yet but I think they are a solid band. Never liked Destruction really.

We all know early Kreator is the shit, but Coma of Souls to me, is their 2nd best album. It fucking slays!!

On the big German 3. Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" I think is almost as good as Reign In Blood. I do not own any Sodom albums yet but I think they are a solid band. Never liked Destruction really.
Check out Sodom's Persecution Mania or Agent Orange. Or if you want to hear what they sound like with (Frank Blackfire) Kreator's guitarist in tow check out Better off Dead.

Check out Sodom's Persecution Mania or Agent Orange. Or if you want to hear what they sound like with (Frank Blackfire) Kreator's guitarist in tow check out Better off Dead.

Actually you're wrong. Frank Gosdzik (Blackfire) played with Sodom from the " Expurse of Sodomy" EP to the "Ausgebombt" EP (1987-1989), by the time of BOD (1990) he wasn't in the band anymore. He then played in Kreator's "Coma of Souls" to "Cause Of Conflict" (1990-1995).

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/search.php?name=sodom

I like the early Sodom (uo to AO) due to its similarity with Venom, but like Kreator and Destruction never get totally acquainted with their vocal mode.

Uh, yeah, sorry my thoughts got muddled:loco:, a common attribute of old schoolers... I was thinking of Frank on Coma coz Sodom had that Michael Hoffman fellow on guitar for Better Off Dead. I remember the disappointment I had when I heard Frank wasnt on BoD. Sodom was easily one of my favourites back in the day and I never had that problem with the vocal mode. I can thank Sodom for getting me into Tank also ;)

if anyone cares flotsam and jetsam will be hitting the studio in september to record a new album according to their message board. i guess an early 2009 release should be expected

Sorry milady, I can't find any redeeming quality especially in Pantera. I had a couple of videos of Machine Head debut somewhere, I can't recall anything special about them either.

I rather go with bands like Coroner, Mekong Delta, Xentrix, Heathen, Hallows Eve, Abnadoned, Fueled By Fire

I'm not exactly a Pantera fan, at least not of their music. I kind of don't get how they weren't better because, IMO, they had four pretty talented musicians. But lately especially I've been noticing that they seem to have a lot of riffs that are eerily similair to other bands :puke:. Though I never really bought into the whole 'they ripped off Exhorder' thing. Pantera isn't anywhere near Exhorder's league.

all time, as far as bands staying metal. that would be hard

in this order

1 metallica (for their influence but became crap in the late 90's)
2 megadeth
3 testament (for keeping true to metal)
4 slayer (for also always playing metal)
5 anthrax (on popularity they get this high on the list)
6 flotsam and jetsam
7 overkill
8 exodus (would be higher but they broke up for a long time)

Not a bad list, but on behalf of SoCal, I have to ask, WHERE THE FUCK IS DARK ANGEL???

I'm not exactly a Pantera fan, at least not of their music. I kind of don't get how they weren't better because, IMO, they had four pretty talented musicians. But lately especially I've been noticing that they seem to have a lot of riffs that are eerily similair to other bands :puke:. Though I never really bought into the whole 'they ripped off Exhorder' thing. Pantera isn't anywhere near Exhorder's league.

exhorder is pantera but without memorable songs