The Thrash Wave

ive heard sepuchral ghoul by legion of the damned, i like that song, havnt heard anything else by them tho, only song ive heard by municipal waste is the art of partying and ive been listenin to it a lot

It's hard to deny that some of it is fun to listen to and see live (Evile is alright despite their blatant Slayer-isms), but I'm not really too hell-bent on wasting my time with a whole scene of completely derivative, throwback bands when Municipal Waste got it right on the first try. The ones that actually have something new to offer and aren't just pretending it's 1987 (maybe Rumpelstiltskin Grinder, for instance) are generally listenable, but there's such a significant drop in quality that it doesn't matter much.

Pure thrash metal is kind of an obsolete genre if you ask me. The only way to call your band thrash and create anything of value is if it's been mixed with a significant portion of other influences like black, death or grind (Bestial Mockery, Desaster, Ghoul).

Perhaps the best from this 'new thrash wave' were Send More Paramedics, with them down and out I don't care much about anything new thrash related aside from Ghoul and Gama Bomb.

Rumpelstiltskin Grinder is pretty good.

I like some of the thrash/blackened thrash Hells Headbangers puts out.

Victimizer(R.I.P):kickass:

trend

metal is now at the point of rehashing its own past for 'new' material, it may as well be considered a dead genre in a few years if it isnt already

No. You are totally wrong. Go look at Southern Lord,Hydra Head, Battle Kommand and Razorback Records. All are putting up excellent new metal material for the respected genre agendas. Metal may be in a hard time but wont die soon.

Lethal
Corrupt
Caustic Strike
Villains
Hellish Crossfire
Space Eater
Sauron (US)
Wastelander
Pyoveli
Enforcer
Witchtrap
Violator
Evil Angel
Baphomet's Blood
Oppression
Phantom Witch

you people think that modern power metal is good but modern thrash sucks?

you people aren't thinking right.

I'm really digging Bonded By Blood and Warbringer at the moment. I checked out Merciless Death a couple of years ago and it bored me to tears.

They only have put out one release which was last year. I think. It did have been being bored to tears also.

Southern Lord is perhaps the biggest trend riding label in all of metal.

That's totally not true. Look at the bigger labels for that kind of shit. Drone is not really much of a trend if you stop to think about it. I've never seen a Dron click at a mall :lol: :lol: It has a very cult non-conformist following, nothing more. Talk to 95% of Metal Heads & chances are they don't listen to Sunn 0))) & the likes, & if they've heard them they probably don't care particulary care for them.