Modern Thrash Metal?

Halberd3

Sep 7, 2016
Anyone have any thoughts on these new wave of thrash metal bands that's been popping up?
By definition these guys are: Havok, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Violator, Vektor, and the likes.
Personally I think some of these guys are good. But they're not really bringing too much of anything new or that I've heard before in Thrash metal. Though I do think Vektor is a band that has brought something a little new, though progressive thrash isn't new. But I think it's better than nothing. I feel they try to mimic the bands they love so much and because of that, they don't sound any different than they do. To me Toxic holocaust sounds too much like Sodom, Municipal Waste sounds too much like D.R.I, and Warbringer a little too much like Slayer sometimes. Anyway, do you guys have thoughts on this?

A lot of it isn't very inspired, but it's the same case with all other metal revivals currently ongoing. I'd rather listen to third-tier thrash bands from the 80s and early 90s for the most part, but some new stuff is still worth checking out. The new Ripper (Chilean band) album is really good.

A lot of it isn't very inspired, but it's the same case with all other metal revivals currently ongoing. I'd rather listen to third-tier thrash bands from the 80s and early 90s for the most part, but some new stuff is still worth checking out. The new Ripper (Chilean band) album is really good.
i listen to a band like Enforcer or White Wizzard I see some inspiration there and things I haven't exactly heard before. Vektor is something, but it's not enough. I think Thrash since its start has been a little too derivative.

Immaculate, Children, Ripper, Sacral Rage, Chronosphere, Deceptor, and others all have their moments of inspiration/originality. I haven't heard a White Wizzard song I would call inspired.

There was plenty of very creative thrash up to 1993, it just didn't get much recognition.

Immaculate, Children, Ripper, Sacral Rage, Chronosphere, Deceptor, and others all have their moments of inspiration/originality. I haven't heard a White Wizzard song I would call inspired.

There was plenty of very creative thrash up to 1993, it just didn't get much recognition.
Is it because it sounds too much like Iron Maiden? I haven't been told that, I just listen to em and hear a Maidenish sound to em.

I liked Antichrist from Sweden and personally Victimizer and Deathhammer are two of my favourite bands in general.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to put Vektor into a new wave of thrash metal movement along with other bands around 15 years old. Toxic Holocaust started back in the late 90's.

Vektor is pushing 14 years now. At least as early as the Demolition demo there was some pretty strong hype behind them.