Apr 13, 2010
Holland
you've probably seen the article,

so the new big four in the new wave of thrash metal would be

evile
bonded by blood
municipal waste
toxic holocaust

that evile is named as one of the ''new big four'' is great promotion.

do you agree with this four being the new ''big four of thrash''?

Toxic Holocaust won't. It's not exactly listener friendly. And well... It's shit.

There probably won't be a new big four on the scale of the last one. But all the bands are clearly doing quite well for themselves!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no and fucking NO

Evile deserve to be there, I'll give them that. Toxic Holocaust are one of the worst bands I've heard in years and aren't fit for me to wipe my dick with. Bonded by Blood and Municipal Waste, as much as I like their music and like those fellas as people, wouldn't be worthy of being included in such a thing becuse frankly, they do nothing different. And if a band isn't trying to push boundaries, think outside the box or trying to set themselves apart from the rest of the crowd then they shouldn't be playing music. The whole 'big four' thing is based entirely on commercial success anyway, most of which was down to business decisions if you ask me.

That article nearly made me have a sezure when I read it, literally. Never thought I could get so angry these days but fuck me the Guardian did a good job trying. Whoever came up with this so-called 'new big four' needs their ass firing and a punch in the face from their boss for good measure.

And if a band isn't trying to push boundaries, think outside the box or trying to set themselves apart from the rest of the crowd then they shouldn't be playing music.

don't agree with this. okay, when it comes down to chosing a new big four, then you have to be different than other bands. but overall, a band that isn't something new ... why shouldn't they be playing music? what's wrong with making great songs without pushing boundaries?

Because the probem with 90% of the newer thrash bands, signed or otherwise, is that not only are they all doing te exact same thing butmost of them aren't even doing it well. This causes a number of problems, out of which my primary concerns are;

1. Because they're all sounding the same, the trendhopping little batrds who read about thrash will think that it's alright to do the exact same thing. hence, you get another influx of shitty bands who all sound exactly the same.

2. When you have that many thrash bands knocking around, it makes it incredibly hard for anyone to stand out whether they're doing something differen or original or unique or whatver the fuck - and people have to wade through a sea of shit to find the gold.

3. The most infuriating one here - due to most bands being too pussy to play anything that isn't a carbon copy of Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Municipal Waste or Exodus you're always going to get the same sound from every band, which will lead to no fucking expansion. Yeah there're a few bads who take after Demolition Hammer and Voivod and so on, but they're few and far between. There's so little variety in the scene that combined with the two points above, thrash has become stagnent and fucking stale because there're so few bands actually using thei fucking brains.

If a band wants to sound like Exodus and they make really, really fucking good music then fine, I'll look the other way. Problem is that there are too many that don' - for every one truely great band you have 200,000 bands that're pure drivel. And quite frankly, bad thrash metal offends me greatly.

Yeah the band surge has gone up like it did in 1986. If I can find it again I'll post it. Basically 1986 had over something like 200 commercial thrash releases along with an uncountable number of demos and stuff like that. And as soon as that happened the genre died and came to a halt in 1989 cos all the output was naff. And itr's sort of doing the same now. There's not new bands putting out amazing thrash albums. The ones who initially got popular seem to be branching out a bit more. It's good to explore musically. It's healthy.

Evile are always going to be kings of the kill (sorry) because they've actively gone out of their way to branch out and break away from the generic thrash mould. Mutant and Vektor, whilst again not doing anything original, are at least doing somethign different fom what the other lot are playing. Laceration from the US are the only new band I've heard who're doing pure death-thrash properly and extremely well, though Warbringer seem to be dabbling a little in death-thrash territory themselves.

And then what do you have - Merciless Death? Fuck off.

Nah, I don't really agree with the article. If I had to pick, it would be :

Evile
Vektor
Gama Bomb
Warbringer

But thats only if I had to pick, I agree with Dave.

I would also go with Keenan. But really, there will never be a "new" big four.

And ZOMFG DAVE HAZ NEW AVATAR!!!
ZOMFGWTFBBQ SO DOES KEENAN!!!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no and fucking NO

Evile deserve to be there, I'll give them that. Toxic Holocaust are one of the worst bands I've heard in years and aren't fit for me to wipe my dick with. Bonded by Blood and Municipal Waste, as much as I like their music and like those fellas as people, wouldn't be worthy of being included in such a thing becuse frankly, they do nothing different. And if a band isn't trying to push boundaries, think outside the box or trying to set themselves apart from the rest of the crowd then they shouldn't be playing music. The whole 'big four' thing is based entirely on commercial success anyway, most of which was down to business decisions if you ask me.

That article nearly made me have a sezure when I read it, literally. Never thought I could get so angry these days but fuck me the Guardian did a good job trying. Whoever came up with this so-called 'new big four' needs their ass firing and a punch in the face from their boss for good measure.

As much as I love the Guardian, what did you expect from the mainstream media?

:lol:
I agree with Keenan's list though I'll be honest, I haven't listened to Vektor.

But that being said, "the new Big Four" shit is nonsense in my mind. Pretty much for the same reasons Dave mentioned. I remember watching Phil Anselmo speak at Loyola University on YouTube and he said something about how the music industry has changed and whatnot. He said that in the 90's and before, bands would take their ten favorite bands, rip them off, and in doing so would create their own sound. Nowadays, bands take their top two favorite bands, rip them off, and create a regurgitation. People these days are always quick to up and say that Evile is a mix between Metallica and Slayer, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Listening to Evile you find elements of Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Megadeth, Annihilator, Death, Sepultura, Pantera, and who knows how many other bands. Out of all of the "New Wave" of thrash bands, Evile is truly the only band that sticks out like a sore thumb.

toxic holocaust = no

I wouldn't say there's a big 4, but it's rather a NWOBTM (New Wave of British Thrash Metal) where there isn't a large defined four (and where some of the bands are actually from different countries).