New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal? (NWOTHM)

Halberd3

Sep 7, 2016
How do you guys feel about this movement? It's basically like the NWOBHM, but returning to an older style of heavy metal and maybe adding new stuff to it. I guess these guys saw bands trying to bring thrash back and decided they had enough of standing around and wanted to return metal to form. The notable bands I've seen come out of it are

-Enforcer
-White Wizzard
-Holy Grail
-Cauldron
-Skull Fist
-Katana
-Dexter Ward
-Steel Horse
-Steelwing
-Icarus Witch
-Striker

And a lot more. Here's a guide https://thegreatnorthernblogkill.wo...e-to-the-new-wave-of-traditional-heavy-metal/

So anyway. Thoughts to this movement?

Reactions: Sonic Titan
Traditional heavy metal didn't stop being a thing. I'm pretty sure that the newer thrash metal isn't where these bands came from. There were new bands in the 1990s and 2000s making heavy metal.

Mostly trash included in this guys blog post advertisement thread.
Enforcer is pretty good, White Wizzard haven't been worth a shit since Over the Top.

No mentions of Eternal Champion, Night Bitch, or Sumerlands who all released an album this year literally better than all other bands in this thread.

Eternal Champion don't really fall into this category to me.

Night Bitch are pretty good and Sumerlands are great, but I'll take music by the bands I listed over them any day.

angel sword is still my fav trad album of the year i think. demon bitch, lethal steel and eternal champ are up there too. i do tend to struggle at first with phil swanson projects but i'm not too fond of the sumerlands so far, the best song ('spiral infinite') is probably the most uptempo one and i wish they did more of that instead of that mid-paced arena sound. don't think his vocals rly suit the style either. i hope it grows on me the way briton rites has though. the wytch hazel is barely even metal to me and i find it a little... unambitious even by my standards, i guess, but it's pretty and i get why people who obsess over stuff like the last pagan altar album or ashbury or anything uber-'70s influenced might worship it.

Reactions: EternalMetal
To me, Wytch Hazel have that late 70's NWOBHM sound, rather than the heavier sounds of the post-1979 bands.

Edit: I absolutely love the leads and overall tone and feeling of this record.

This is just a demo but I think they have great promise, if they decide to do more music. I've listened to it an obscene amount of times already.

Because Australian traditional metal needs to fucking catch on as a thing already.

An homage to Eastern Block heavy metal. Absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
How do you guys feel about this movement? It's basically like the NWOBHM, but returning to an older style of heavy metal and maybe adding new stuff to it. I guess these guys saw bands trying to bring thrash back and decided they had enough of standing around and wanted to return metal to form. The notable bands I've seen come out of it are

-Enforcer
-White Wizzard
-Holy Grail
-Cauldron
-Skull Fist
-Katana
-Dexter Ward
-Steel Horse
-Steelwing
-Icarus Witch
-Striker

And a lot more. Here's a guide https://thegreatnorthernblogkill.wo...e-to-the-new-wave-of-traditional-heavy-metal/

So anyway. Thoughts to this movement?

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing. First time I've heard of such a scene, I'll go check it out.

The Angel Sword album is definitely a good example of how to do it right. Really enjoying this album lately.

As for the movement, I think it is pretty cool that new bands are bringing back older styles. It isnt like the other genres are doing anything innovative at the moment.

I was listening to Witchtower earlier today actually, and it is thoroughly Di Anno era Iron Maiden worship (my favorite Maiden era by far). And I mean that in a good way too, this stuff delivers in ways that bands like White Wizzard and Enforcer cant. I still enjoy Enforcer though, their passion and energy are quite good.

i find a lot of the more well known bands in this 'movement' are pretty samey and kinda like the trad metal equivalent of top 40 stuff, professional and solid and listenable but very easily palatable and completely formulaic, like they've been made by an algorithm or something. a good algorithm but still an algorithm. generally speaking you've gotta delve beyond the hipster-approved stuff to find the magic i tend to associate with most of the classics.

Most of the stuff in the blog post that this thread was made to advertise is pretty average.

I recently bought Inner City Wolves by Johnny Touch along with nine other CDs (for $20!) and that's a really good album.

I wish a lot of the bands could get major gigs and be able to spread their existence out further. A lot of em in my book are pretty good.

I generally find this kind of movement uninteresting, just like the same with the new thrash and death bands.

IMO the best kind of newer heavy metal is the one Atlantean Kodex have been championing. Kind of old school, definitely not modern sounding atleast but without the dorky retro feel.

Reactions: CiG
Like that "NWOTHM" movement, them bringing or not anythingnew to the table doesn't bother me, as for me if it's good then it's good, and that's it, I also listen to newer death or thrash metal bands.
I think that the fact I grew up listening to stuff like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin then falling in metal listening to heavy then thrash and death until I really listened to extreme metal, all this during the mid 2000's helps too, I never had a chance to see the old bands growing etc so I must not feel as bored as many older (no offense ah ah) metalheads

Like that "NWOTHM" movement, them bringing or not anythingnew to the table doesn't bother me, as for me if it's good then it's good, and that's it, I also listen to newer death or thrash metal bands.
I think that the fact I grew up listening to stuff like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin then falling in metal listening to heavy then thrash and death until I really listened to extreme metal, all this during the mid 2000's helps too, I never had a chance to see the old bands growing etc so I must not feel as bored as many older (no offense ah ah) metalheads
I know the feeling man. My tastes went a little slower at my age. A few years ago I was all out thrash, Now I look back and like the slower mid tempo stuff a little more than breakneck speed stuff. Still love it no doubt, just changed.