First Thrash Metal Band?

I think the term speed metal is archaic. Any band ever labelled that falls into traditional metal, thrash, or power metal. I know a guy that's 38... and we've had conversations about this... he was there for this stuff first hand in arizona... and pretty much any thrash or crossover band was called "speed metal." Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Nuclear Assault, Kreator, DRI, they were all simply speed metal to him.

Metallica ... speed metal on their first few albums. metallica didn't form their thrash sound until ride the lightning.

:lol: Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?? Kill 'Em All dosn't sound like thrash to you but RtL does? :lol:

Kill Em All is the far more "thrashier" album of the two.

and Krow is right, lot of people back then used to consider thrash metal bands to also be speed metal, but most of them also knew being a speed metal band didnt mean you were a thrash band.

:lol: Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?? Kill 'Em All dosn't sound like thrash to you but RtL does? :lol:

Kill Em All is the far more "thrashier" album of the two.

and Krow is right, lot of people back then used to consider thrash metal bands to also be speed metal, but most of them also knew being a speed metal band didnt mean you were a thrash band.

Fuck it. They're all thrash.

I think the term speed metal is archaic. Any band ever labelled that falls into traditional metal, thrash, or power metal. I know a guy that's 38... and we've had conversations about this... he was there for this stuff first hand in arizona... and pretty much any thrash or crossover band was called "speed metal." Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Nuclear Assault, Kreator, DRI, they were all simply speed metal to him.

I'm 38 and it was all thrash metal to me back in the day. No one I knew referred to anything as speed metal.

Witching Hour and other early Venom songs are pretty much as intense as anything on Kill 'Em All.
I must say I did not listen to enough Venom in the 80's growing up, but looking back, one must give them the nod as one of the pillars of Thrash Metal that's for sure, they've been there they've done that, and I believe they have the T shirts to prove it, LOL

I'm 38 and it was all thrash metal to me back in the day. No one I knew referred to anything as speed metal.
+ 1 I'm 39 and we called it Metal or Thrash Metal. I think when something is happening you are not really looking for a label for it you are just so in to being a part of it, it's only later when you sit back and look back that you can categorize and bicker over 6 to one and half dozen to another.

Man I am so glad for my generation to have seen the 80's metal scene first hand, good times.

Well im 28, and back in the days there were plenty of people(especialy the more casual fans) that would lump it up with speed metal ... im actually kind of surprised with the last two posts, theres no way you've been listening to thrash (especially in the 80's) and havent come across people who referred to it as speed metal.

Yeah, it would make sense for it to take a few years after the years of early thrash for thrash metal bands to be categorized as such and for the genre to be defined separately from speed metal.

Venom was the first thrash band to me. Metallica and Metal Church were speed metal on their first few albums. metallica didn't form their thrash sound until ride the lightning. Venom seemed like straight foward thrash to me, but it's debatable.
Kill'em All was the most thrash record metalica ever thought about doing.

Well im 28, and back in the days there were plenty of people(especialy the more casual fans) that would lump it up with speed metal ... im actually kind of surprised with the last two posts, theres no way you've been listening to thrash (especially in the 80's) and havent come across people who referred to it as speed metal.
we called it both in the 80s. the 2 terms then were interchangeable. Now they arent. they have evolved into their separate classification. time has a funny way of doing that :D