unknown

fuck ftagn
Oct 27, 2003
The Red Tower
Blood Tsunami - Thrash Metal
Candlelight Records - CDL328 - April 3rd, 2007
By Michael Koger

142373.jpg

When you have an album entitled Thrash Metal and it features a rather renowned drummer in the form of Bard “Faust” Eithun (of Emperor, Zyklon and Aborym fame), you have slightly high expectations. These aren’t unreasonable expectations, but the hype for the band and the album is pretty high. Does Blood Tsunami’s Thrash Metal live up to its hype and name?

Well, yes and no. It’s promoted as a return to the sound of the old school Bay Area and German thrash scenes. It doesn’t sound much like classic thrash at all. The main reason for this could be the vocals, executed by a man known as Pete Evil. Mr. Evil’s vocals might be more appropriate in a melodic death metal band or even a blackened thrash band. As a result of this, the music doesn’t stay strictly in the old school thrash sound at all. It wanders in and out of death metal, blackened thrash, but there are old school thrash moments. This, I believe, exists largely in the solos (which are pulled off rather nicely). The riffs are pretty good, but they don’t impress me too much. Faust’s drum performance is very efficient. He’s right on mark, but he doesn’t show off too much. His double bass drum and cymbal work is very nice.

The songs are very riff laden, and there is a decent amount of variety within the songs. But there isn’t a whole lot of variety or memorability to distinguish the tracks from one another. The album kicks off with ‘Evil Unleashed’ and pushes on through all 8 tracks all the way to album closer ‘Killing Spree', and if you don’t pay close enough attention, you might not even notice the track changes. The album doesn’t really change pace or sound until ‘Infernal Final Charge’, which shows a little variety in tempo from the first half of the album. Another track of interest is the ten minute instrumental track, ‘Godbeater’. Whenever thrash bands do “epic” tracks, it’s always a gamble of sorts (especially if they‘re instrumentals). If the rest of the album showcased the diversity and sound in this track, it might sound a bit better. Bits and pieces of it actually remind me of old Metallica. ‘Godbeater’ is definitely the album highlight for me.

I see this album as possibly being able to appeal to fans of metal core. Is Thrash Metal thrashy? I guess so, but it’s not the thrash sound of the 80s that the listener is led to believe. I think the major downfall for this album are the vocals. They’re raspy and don’t wander too far out of their range. Is the album essential? I wouldn't say so, but it is a decent album from a band of relatively unknown musicians (aside from the drummer).

Official Blood Tsunami Website
Blood Tsunami on Myspace
Official Candlelight Records Website