After All – The Violent Decline

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
After All – The Violent Decline
Dockyard 1 – June 2007
by Ryan Starr

declinec.jpg

Most people who are really into thrash probably got this album when it was released in Europe back in 2006. A year later The Violent Decline was finally released in the US. I don’t know why it took so long, but it’s a shame because this is a pretty decent album. The Violent Decline is a modern spin on thrash. Sound wise it’s similar to Testament, but with the random metalcore influence. Now don’t take that the wrong way. Sure it’s got one or two breakdowns , and there is the slightest bit of At the Gates worship, but it’s still 100% thrash. My only gripe about this style of thrash is that it’s too clean. Thrash is supposed to be raw and dirty. When I hear old Exodus, I think of shows in a dirty Oakland warehouse with cheap beer and nasty women in acid wash jeans. I just don’t get that vibe from this album.

Even though I can’t get into it on a personal level, this is still a record that most people will enjoy. If you like thrash, pick it up. But if you’re looking for that flash back to the glory days, this just won’t do it for you.

Official After All Website
Official Dockyard 1 Website