Metal Ep’s/demo’s/split cd’s that you like better than the full-lengths

Solipsist

beyond all horizons
Jul 27, 2006
Pretty self-explanatory thread. Include some reasoning to why you feel so-and-so EP/demo/split cd is a better representation of a band compared to the full-length(s) in their discography. I could think of a few for my case:

Phlebotomized “Preach Eternal Gospels” EP- Darker, with more emphasis on the riffs (and no lame gang vocals!) compared to that of “Immense Intense Suspense”

Molested “Stormvold” EP- Just wasn’t fond of the production on “Blod Draum”, nevertheless I like both

Cynic “Demo 1991”- What many consider Cynic’s creative peak, and I agree

Enslaved’s side on “Hordanes Land” Split- Last track here is just about their best track ever

At the Gates “Gardens of Grief” EP- Actually, on most days I prefer “The Red in the Sky is Ours” over this, but I can’t help but notice that this features the band’s thickest/heaviest/best guitar tone, darkest atmosphere, and an even better version of TRITSIO’s last track entitled ‘City of Screaming Statues’

Thorns "Grymyrk/Tr�ndertun" Tape(s)- Well, fuck... I almost forgot this... the self-titled full-length album is pretty good but does not even come come close to the inventiveness and unique abstract nature of the music on these tapes... fucking "out-there" stuff!

Angel Witch's demos are better than their debut self-titled album. The demos have a far more sinister, slower, down-trodden element to them that it makes the songs more impactful on the listener.

Anathema - The Crestfallen is better than everything else the band has done for me because I prefer their take on Doom/Death and Serenades just isn't as good. It feels more sappy and the vocals more contrived. The Crestfallen is just totally bleak.

Behemoth - ...From The Pagan Vastlands demo trumps everything else the band has done in my mind. It has a thicker guitar tone than on their other Black Metal material that remains more within the realm of their direct influences rather than them trying to accomplish something new, which they weren't very good at doing.

Blasphemy - Blood Upon The Altar is better than their full-length outputs. It has a similar approach to the debut album, but with a more fitting production.

Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil crushes everything else they've done. They never managed to recapture the sinister, bestial nature of this recording on any of their later output.

Dismember - although I like most Dismember full lengths, the demos outdo them all.

Jesu - Like Dismember, I like both the self-titled and new full lengths by Jesu, but Silver is one of my favourite releases by any band.

Hordanes Land by Enslaved trumps Vikingligr Veldi, but I haven't heard any later material yet.

For Dark Funeral, In the Sign... > Secrets of the Black Arts.

And I agree with cookiecutter on The Art of War.

^ Agreed, I tend to forget it though since I have it tagged on to the end of Pleasure To Kill.

Just a few off the top of my head:

Dawn - Sorgh Pa Svarte Vingar Flagh
Belial - Gods of the Pit / Wisdom of Darkness
Crypt of Kerberos - Cyclone of Insanity / Promo 1991
Disgrace (Fin) - Inside the Labyrinth of Depression
Dark Tranquillity - Trail of Life Decayed
Carbonized - No Canonization
Vintersemestre - Jääverisaatana
Uncanny / Ancient Rites split (only applies to Uncanny)
Morte Incandescente - Death Glorification
Deathspell Omega's split with Clandestine Blaze

Some more:

Eternal Solstice/Mourning - At The Dawn Of... (for both, personally)
Nominon - Blaspheming The Dead 7"
Bloodbath - Breeding Death
Massacre - Tyrants Of Death (aka the demos)
Entombed - But Life Goes On
Thou Art Lord - The Cult Of The Horned One
Necromantia/Varathron - Black Arts Lead To Everlasting Sins (for Necromantia)
Zemial - Sleeping Under Tartarus 7"
Xysma - Swarming Of The Maggots/Fata Morgana/Above The Mind Of Morbitiy
Xibalba - Ancients
Queensryche - Queensryche
Tudor - Zombie/Skeleton/Spalovna
Torr - demos
Slugathor - Delicacies Of The Cadaver/Fabric Of The Muliverse
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return

Warlord's "Deliver Us" is the best example. I like it much more than the full length "And the Cannons...", it's more powerful.

From present bands, I could say the same for Icarus Witch and their amazing debut EP. The debut full length isn't as great (very good though) and I hope that the second one that will be released in some days will be better.

Finally, there is no question that the Sarissa demo of 1987, is far better than the S/T full length, released at 1993. But you don't know this band and I don't say more.

None I think are actually better - perhaps on par with full lengths though.
Vader - Morbid Reich EP
Hypnosia - Violent Intensity EP
My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium EP
Internecine Excoriation - Prognosticate The Decrepitude (ok, it's all they've released, but killer nonetheless)

I'm a Cradle of Filth fan, and their V Empire or Dark Faerytales EP is just as good as any of their first three albums (Principle, Dusk, Cruelty). More of a mini-album than a 'typical' EP since it was basically material written for Dusk and Her Embrace but was released to fulfill some obligation they had with their first record label so they could leave.