First Thrash Metal Band?

SlaytallicaDethrax

Rattlehead
Nov 29, 2011
Arizona
I was wondering who you guys consider the first thrash band. Please leave your comments/opinions. Here is my opinion (sorry if it's a little wordy):

A lot of people say that Motörhead was the first thrash band because of the way they introduced speed to metal with songs like “Overkill” (from 1979). I would say that Motörhead is not a thrash band; they are more of a speed metal band. Yes, there is a difference. Speed metal is cleaner, with less emphasis on techniques like tremolo picking and shredding guitar solos. “Overkill” obviously features prominent double-bass drumming, a common technique in both thrash and speed metal. However, the rhythm guitar in “Overkill” relies mainly on chords rather than fast picking. Even songs such as Motörhead’s “Ace of Spades” (1980) and Venom’s “Witching Hour” (1981) didn’t quite reach the intensity of thrash metal.

Songs like Metallica’s “Whiplash” (from demos in 1982) were the first real thrash metal songs. “Whiplash” has a little bit of double bass in the intro, but the most important element is the guitar. James Hetfield’s tremolo picking, Dave Mustaine’s (and later Kirk Hammett’s) shredding solos, and Lars Ulrich’s rapid drum beats set the tone. Hetfield’s barked vocals were a key element of the sound, although not necessary to be considered thrash metal (other bands such as Anthrax with Joey Belladonna, and even later Metallica were thrash metal with melodic vocals).

Of course, Metallica was only one of the first true thrash metal bands—some others include Exodus, Slayer, Overkill, and Anthrax. Unfortunately, the thrash scene was still very underground in the early 80s, and bootlegs and tape-trading were rampant, so there is no way to tell which thrash band was first, although the first official thrash metal demo was Metallica’s No Life ‘til Leather (1982), followed by Exodus’ 1982 Demo. I asked Brian Slagel who the first thrash band was and he said he didn't know, probably Metallica or Exodus. The first official thrash metal album was also Metallica, with 1983’s Kill ‘Em All, with Slayer’s Show No Mercy arriving later that year. There was no official first thrash metal band, but Metallica released the first official demo and official full-length album in the genre.

I don't know about the first thrash metal band, but this is the first thrash metal song ever recorded.

Just listen to the ENTIRE song, and tell me this isn't thrash !

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, on a more serious note, a lot of the 70ies/early 80ies' raw speed metal were borderline thrash, but the foundations of the subgenre are commonly regarded to have been laid down by the big four.

Witching Hour and other early Venom songs are pretty much as intense as anything on Kill 'Em All.

Now, on a more serious note, a lot of the 70ies/early 80ies' raw speed metal were borderline thrash, but the foundations of the subgenre are commonly regarded to have been laid down by the big four.

That French song was pretty fast at the end, definitely proto-thrash. Reminds me of Postmortem how it gets really fast at the end.

I would say the Big 4 without Megadeth, as Dave was still in Metallica until 83, and throw in Exodus. Also Overkill to a lesser extent

Okay, so I'll give you kids a history lesson here. Metallica was NOT the first thrash band, as much as everyone would like for them to be. I think most newbies choose Metallica because their knowledge of ALL the bands from that era or earlier is VERY limited.

Here we go. Some songs (from bands who came BEFORE Metallica) that were definitely THRASH and if you don't believe me, listen to the songs on youtube:

Warlord demo from Exodus (1982)

Venom's 1981 and 1982 albums were pure thrash

Discharge's WHY EP (1981) and Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing (1982)

Accept's Breaker album from 1981 (the song breaker) and Restless And Wild album from 1981 (fast as a shark)

Angel Witch (1980)...Songs like Atlantis (PURE THRASH)

EVERYTHING Blitzkrieg released in 1980, 1981 and 1982...Songs like Armageddon, Blitzkrieg, Inferno, etc....

Diamond Head released a brutal thrash song in 1980 called AM I EVIL!!!!!!!!!

Raven's Rock Until You Drop (1981) is considered by many to be a thrash album (has many elements of it all over the place).

Tank - Filth Hounds of Hades (1982)

Exciter's work from 1981-1983 is definitely thrash..

Anvil - Metal On Metal (1982)

Holocaust - The Nightcomers (1981)...If you doubt this, listen to Death or glory and you will see how BRUTAL this Irish band was...

Okay, now we have Motorhead, as has been stated by most newbies..

Then we have Budgie, who released songs like: Breadfan (1973), Crash Course In Brain Surgery (1974)

We have Black Sabbath releasing Symptom Of The Universe in 1975..

We have Judas Priest releasing Dissident Aggressor in 1977.

I mean COME ON KIDS!!! To say Metallica started it all is SOOOO ignorant....

Just because a song is somewhat upbeat doesn't make it thrash. Half of those songs/albums aren't even close.
I'll be the first to agree that Metallica wasn't the first thrash band, but come on, saying any metal song quicker than "Iron Man" is full-fledged thrash is just ridiculous.
I'll agree that some of it comes very close, and you can definitely hear the influence they had, but that doesn't make it thrash, and quite frankly makes you just as "ignorant" as those "kids" you're trying to school.

Also, just because a band had a song or two that was basically thrash doesn't somehow make them the first thrash band. What are you gonna say next, that Zeppelin was metal?

But I digress, we can all sit here and label stuff 'til the day we die, bottom line is, it's all Metal, and it's all great.

I would say Metallica was one of the first full out thrash metal bands, but there were so many bands coming out around the same time with that sound. It would be hard to pinpoint the first.

I would say Metallica was one of the first full out thrash metal bands, but there were so many bands coming out around the same time with that sound. It would be hard to pinpoint the first.

Metallica BORROWED what the guys from the UK had been doing since the late 70's thanks to Lars being in the KNOW, seeing he just came from Europe and knew ALL about the bands from 79/81... Metallica's sound is NOT original. They just made a point to make their entire first album thrash, but thrash had already been around for years and I've given examples.

Of course, Metallica was only one of the first true thrash metal bands—some others include Exodus, Slayer, Overkill, and Anthrax. Unfortunately, the thrash scene was still very underground in the early 80s, and bootlegs and tape-trading were rampant, so there is no way to tell which thrash band was first, although the first official thrash metal demo was Metallica’s No Life ‘til Leather (1982), followed by Exodus’ 1982 Demo. I asked Brian Slagel who the first thrash band was and he said he didn't know, probably Metallica or Exodus. The first official thrash metal album was also Metallica, with 1983’s Kill ‘Em All, with Slayer’s Show No Mercy arriving later that year. There was no official first thrash metal band, but Metallica released the first official demo and official full-length album in the genre.

This is also my own thought.

Metallica BORROWED what the guys from the UK had been doing since the late 70's thanks to Lars being in the KNOW, seeing he just came from Europe and knew ALL about the bands from 79/81... Metallica's sound is NOT original. They just made a point to make their entire first album thrash, but thrash had already been around for years and I've given examples.

Metallica had demo's in 82 and were also influenced by Diamond Head,etc.... Not saying metallica or anything is the first thrash metal band, but they're just as early as a lot of stuff you mentioned. A lot of it not being thrash. Slayer -show no mercy is one of the earliest thrash metal albums and probably the fastest,darkest,heaviest album of the early 80's. Kill 'Em All as Show No Mercy are just ones that made it more mainstream and were the most noticed ones. Probably because they pushed the envelope. Kill Em All has some of the fastest picking have heard on a metal album and it was clearly a step forward in metal music in terms of a lot of things.

Okay, so I'll give you kids a history lesson here. Metallica was NOT the first thrash band, as much as everyone would like for them to be. I think most newbies choose Metallica because their knowledge of ALL the bands from that era or earlier is VERY limited.

Look the fuck out, we've got the ayatolla of metal knowledge here, the grand poobah, the big chief. He's shown us newbie kids what's what.

Anvil - Metal on Metal?

If it wasn't for Lars Ulrich and whoever else citing it as an influence, I don't think anyone would call this a thrash-related album. IIRC, '666' is the only song that could be called thrash metal, but it's pretty obvious who influenced that song.

While it is not thrash in the Metallica Whiplash sense, Black Sabbath's Symptom of the Universe had a really thrashy feel to it, and that came out in 75 I think. The palm muted open E, well, you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen released "Stone Cold Crazy" in 1974, usually considered as the first thrash song.