Harsh Review of No Hit Wonders-Decibel Mag

MyHatred

Chief Ten Beers
Jun 25, 2004
In the Pabst Brewery
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Not sure if this has been posted? [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]http://www.decibelmagazine.com/1105_anthrax_anth.aspx[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Anthrax[/FONT]
Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991)
ISLAND/UME

anthrax_anth.jpg

New York state of middling
Despite the insistence of nostalgic thrash fans and contemporary metal mags (hello, Decibel!) Anthrax have never released a great album. In 20 some years of recording, the New York thrash legends have forged a frustrating legacy, full of novelty tracks (“I’m the Man”), sped-up covers (“Got the Time,” “Antisocial”), simple mosh anthems (“NFL”) and, all too occasionally, something memorable (the first half of Persistence of Time). And while the John Bush-era of the band has produced more consistent records, it’s also gone largely unnoticed. Which may explain why Joey Belladonna, the curly-maned frontman of the band’s commercial heyday, is back in the fold (personally, I was hoping for a Neil Turbin sighting, but... ).

Anthrology is a two-disc set covering the best of the band’s first five albums, and yet, even with judicious pruning, it’s too long. Early standards “Madhouse” and “Indians” simply sound trite today, all metal bark with no bite. But disc two makes clear that the band’s creative leaders, guitarist Scott Ian and drummer Charlie Benante, were on their way to developing a unique mix of hardcore, leftist anger and, yep, hooks (“In My World”) before they got Bush-whacked.

Don't get me wrong: Anthrax will always be a kickin’ live band with (some) great tunes, and deserves kudos for always thinking outside the box. But as Anthrology proves, some bands deserve their modest fates. —Kirk Miller

It's too long??!! You get tons of great tracks and it's too long? Total fucking nonsense. How gay. Decibel Mag, Give up the reviewing and do what you always done best. Go fuck your mothers.

Now I feel like a total idiot.... "Got The Time" and "Anti-Social" are covers????

I've never even heard of Decibel. It's obvious whoever reviewed that was a biased piece of shit that for whatever reason just doesn't like Anthrax and let that effect his review. No matter, that's the first and probably the only negative review I've read for NHW.

It does sound very Biased. I agree, you can not please everyone. Every band gets a shitty review by someone, but, he didn't even issue them credit where the credit was due. Ouch.

Lets not forget that all of the Big 4 are still around after all these years.

KY_Fried442 said:
I've never even heard of Decibel. It's obvious whoever reviewed that was a biased piece of shit that for whatever reason just doesn't like Anthrax and let that effect his review. No matter, that's the first and probably the only negative review I've read for NHW.

Sanctuary have pulled some string to punish us fans for all the voting for "Safe Home"! :Spin: