Do you consider Zeppelin Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
I consider them Metal. People think they aren't because they sound different than other Metal. Pretty much because they are louder and faster Blues, they don't use as much distortion, and their vocalist doesn't really growl. I wouldn't say its not Metal, I'd say the Metal today is different and people don't consider Zeppelin Metal because they've considered other Metal they've listened to to be the definition of Metal. If you listen to the first Rock song; Rocket 88. You would most likely think it was Jazz if you didn't know better. If you look at it from the point of view today then it would sound a lot softer and different than most Rock. But at the time it was considered loud and crazy and different. And its the same for Metal and Led Zeppelin.

While they may not be Metal, it'd be foolish to deny their many Metal tendencies and their vast influence on Metal.

I consider them Metal. People think they aren't because they sound different than other Metal...
They aren't metal, and that was some of the more bizarre reasoning suggesting otherwise that I've heard. They lack any consistent combination of imagery, themes and sounds to be considered a metal band, their "metal moments" were few and far between. Their influence on metal specifically (as opposed to rock music in general) also seems to be vastly overstated by many.

They aren't metal, and that was some of the more bizarre reasoning suggesting otherwise that I've heard. They lack any consistent combination of imagery, themes and sounds to be considered a metal band, their "metal moments" were few and far between. Their influence on metal specifically (as opposed to rock music in general) also seems to be vastly overstated by many.

I agree that their hardest stuff didn't occur all the time, but I still consider it Metal. I dunno if overall they would be Metal, I mean Jackie Brensten and his Delta Cats probably weren't completely a Rock band.

It doesn't make much sense to consider a band that at best had a handful of songs that could arguably be considered borderline metal a metal band, does it? At the most I'd say they were a band with very occasional proto-metal tendencies, but those moments are far outweighed by blues/folk/rock oriented material. Therefore, not a metal band.

Who was denying their metal tendencies? And how is this point significant? Metal has elements of rock which has elements of jazz which has elements of r&b which has elements of classical. None of this is really relevant to the issue of taxonomy.

Black Sabbath were the first metal band. Nothing before them should be considered anything more than a proto-type of metal.

Everyone should know this by now.

Who was denying their metal tendencies? And how is this point significant? Metal has elements of rock which has elements of jazz which has elements of r&b which has elements of classical. None of this is really relevant to the issue of taxonomy.

This band is not at all metal.

Also, it was more of a general statement. Do you think you're making an astute observation here?

Yes, because you missed the whole point of the thread. The question was about what category the band falls under. Taxonomy is concerned with convenience of being able to put labels on things. Observing that dinosaurs have mammalian features like skeletal system and lungs does not make them mammals.

Yes, because you missed the whole point of the thread. The question was about what category the band falls under. Taxonomy is concerned with convenience of being able to put labels on things. Observing that dinosaurs have mammalian features like skeletal system and lungs does not make them mammals.

And you're missing the point of my post and can just fuck off for being a dumbass.

They are definitely hard rock, and not metal. Their songs are very blues based; the music doesn't have a dark, aggressive, or gloony feel like all metal does; the guitar playing technique is largely not metal; all their songs are about girls..... I could go on and on. Bottom line is: they are not metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.