Do you consider Zeppelin Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are definitely hard rock, and not metal. Their songs are very blues based; the music doesn't have a dark, aggressive, or gloony feel like all metal does; the guitar playing technique is largely not metal; all their songs are about girls..... I could go on and on. Bottom line is: they are not metal.

A lot of their songs are far from being 'hard' rock.

As badass as the immigrant song is, they are not metal. Starting to get close to it though.

Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are the same thing, it said it in 5 books on the history of Rock N' Roll. It said "Led Zeppelin had created a style called Hard Rock, also known as Heavy Metal."

I guess I wouldn't consider them to be Metal overall. But some solos and riffs I would consider to be.

There is a professor at my alma mater that apparently says the first metal band was Zeppelin.

I almost flipped out when I heard that. I told the dude in his class that's it's actually Black Sabbath.

Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are the same thing, it said it in 5 books on the history of Rock N' Roll. It said "Led Zeppelin had created a style called Hard Rock, also known as Heavy Metal."

I guess I wouldn't consider them to be Metal overall. But some solos and riffs I would consider to be.

They may have started out as similar genres (as seen by the resemblance of early heavy metal bands like Judas Priest to some other hard rock bands), but today they are vastly different.

Not that this is at all relevant, but I HATE zeppelin. On an olympic level. All that blues based noodling and drugged-out nonsense. Plus their musicianship is most over rated. Tedious, drawn out and ponderous bullshit. The individual ex members also get very VERY annoyed when people claim them to be a metal band, which is quite amusing.

Mind you, the Immigrant song is nice.

Not that this is at all relevant, but I HATE zeppelin. On an olympic level. All that blues based noodling and drugged-out nonsense. Plus their musicianship is most over rated. Tedious, drawn out and ponderous bullshit. The individual ex members also get very VERY annoyed when people claim them to be a metal band, which is quite amusing.

I hate you now. :mad:

You must hate most classic acid rock.

Led Zeppelin are indeed a hard rock band, but they did make some of the first metal riffs, and thus influenced metal. Take the riff on Whole Lotta Love for example, that is defiantly a metal riff.

Led Zeppelin are indeed a hard rock band, but they did make some of the first metal riffs, and thus influenced metal. Take the riff on Whole Lotta Love for example, that is defiantly a metal riff.

+1 ... as well as Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused etc. Problem is people will always compare any past band to Sabbath and also will think in terms of now and not then... it's difficult for someone from the 2000's to think like someone from the late 60's and 70's... also when everyone doesn't consider anything metal unless it is extreme metal in theme or music... Zeppelin had metal themes as well as riffs... some of their themes were vikings, devil,drugs (who says this can't be metal?.. Sabbath sang about pot and cocaine via Sweet Leaf and Snow Blind for christ sakes lol), sex (who says this can't be metal?... stfu), paganism etc... if you don't consider them metal.. that is fine but I agree with Doden's assessment at the very least... and at the very least to call them Proto metal...

Status
Not open for further replies.