Do you consider the media to be degrading to metal?

Do you consider the media to be degrading to metal?

• Yes

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • It depends

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I need to look more into this matter

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Required Fields

New Metal Member
Oct 24, 2002
I've been discussing this with some people elsewhere, and I was wondering if you think the media degrades metal music, its fanbase, and its culture.

Personally, I believe that the media is almost always very degrading to metal music, its culture, and fans. When they write articles about metal music, they always seem to have a negative slant, as if they are biased and trying to make us look as bad as they can. It can also lead people unfamiliar to the metal culture to believe to painting the metal community with the same brush, and assume we are all like that. As one who is a true metal fan and has communicated with many metal fans over the years, I've met people from all walks of life who like metal music.

I understand metal music isn't to everyone's liking, but sometimes I am just disgusted with the way we are portrayed.

Yeah...I consider it to be degrading at some point...like when they announced that Marilyn Manson...and Lamb Of God, we're coming they literally just came out and said...this is stupid...both these bands, people are offensive and shit like that...

But no one seems to care, because they just announced that Slayer and Megadeth are coming to town!

Yes, and I prefer it that way. It's supposed to be degraded. You feeling the lack of respect it gets is pretty unmetal of you in the first place. If metal were widely accepted and recognised like other genres, its 'music of the outsiders' tendency would hugely suffer. I personally don't want this exclusive club to be too crowded. Sad thing is, its starting to drift towards acceptance. That's why modern metalcore shit bothers so many metalheads; its metal in the hands of shit people.

Definately yes. The media also seem to purposefully have as little to do with Metal as possible and focus solely on pop music and other such crap.

I'd find it hard to give it a definite yes vote.
I mean, you can't deny for some metal bands, media exposure has worked in their favor in terms of sales etc, so I don't think it's all bad.
I'd say 75 per cent degrading/bad and 25 per cent good/not degrading.

Definately yes. The media also seem to purposefully have as little to do with Metal as possible and focus solely on pop music and other such crap.
Probably because, as Joe said, people actually like pop music.

i love this little fantasy some metalheads have that if the mainstream knew *real metal* and *real metal fans* they'd embrace them alongside the beach boys and radioheads of the world.
I'm with you on this one. We of course love metal, but most people never will even if they hear the best it has to offer. That's perfectly fine and I think a lot of metalheads need to get over themselves and realize that metal is not inherently special, it is just special to them.

Also if people want to see an example of fair and interesting journalism regarding good metal they should the Washington Post magazine article about Pig Destroyer and the Maryland Death Fest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/31/AR2009073102026.html

This is why.....

images

I'm with you on this one. We of course love metal, but most people never will even if they hear the best it has to offer. That's perfectly fine and I think a lot of metalheads need to get over themselves and realize that metal is not inherently special, it is just special to them.

not to mention that metal actually consciously rebels against the conventions of pop music and so is by nature gonna be inaccessible to the general public.

Well, there's never so much metal on TV, at least here in Holland.
But IF there's metal being discussed, then it's only the bad stuff coming to the light.
Then people only say the "bad things" about metal, like "pushing to commit suicide, cutting your wrists with a knife, etc".
But it's only because Fade to Black(metallica) was the first metal song that really got mainstream attention.
And it is about committing suicide and stuff, you can't deny that. But I always ask: "Did they really do it?"
Answer: No, they're still around...

Or Ozzy Osbourne's Suicide Solution... Did HE commit suicide? Nope, he's still around, too.

And there was a festival(can't remember the name of it), a while ago. And all the benefit was given to charity. And the media actually PAID attention to it. They made fun of it... I mean, when there's such actions like a collection for charity, then it's being scoffed at.

I think it's more accurate to say that the media doesn't give a shit about metal but that many metalheads would like to feel persecuted by the mainstream so they look for a negative bias against metal.

i love this little fantasy some metalheads have that if the mainstream knew *real metal* and *real metal fans* they'd embrace them alongside the beach boys and radioheads of the world.

This is why.....

images

Christianity can go fuck itself in all available orifices

That cover is genius and we all know it, and the media should to some degree acknowledge it too