Do you consider Iron Maiden power metal?

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
I don't think they are, but I've seen them referred to as power metal here and elsewhere. I like Iron Maiden, but I don't like Helloween, Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, Rhapsody, Stratovorius, etc. and I don't think that Iron Maiden sound like these bands. So I don't really see why Iron Maiden are often categorized as power metal.

Most people assign the term because of the operatic clean vocals and the oft fantastical lyrics. There is some substance to the term as applied to Maiden, but it's as loose as saying whether Dimmu Borgir are more thrash or black metal, or something like that.

For all intensive purposes, they're definately traditional metal. Modern bands more derivative of Maiden's epic melodies rather than operatic vocals are subordinatively called traditional also.

What's wierd is that I hate it when power metal bands do those multi voice vocal harmonies, but think it sounds ok when Iron Maiden does it. Iron Maiden doesn't do it as often either. It sounds better when just one voice is singing anyways.

Id say they're more traditional metal but they defintely had a hand in creating power metal and i can see why people would call them power metal because of the vocals and lyrics. I dont even like them anyways, never been able to get into them really

I think they are just Iron Maiden- they created their own sound. But yes they influenced alot of metal from melodic death metal, to power metal.

Ageless said:
Heh, I just think they're shit! :loco:

Man, you suck! Sorry, but what a pointless comment! I was at Earls Court last night, and if anyone who saw that then said that Maiden don't rule, they need their head seeing to!

Anyway, to the point - there may be elements to Iron Maiden that some consider power metal-ish, but that's because many power metal bands were inspired by Maiden.

Maiden = new wave of british heavy metal (NWOBHM)

Perhaps not with their modern sound, but they've always been way more TRADITIONAL metal than power metal.

Rottuated said:
Maiden are nowhere near power metal. Power metal evolved from Trash, which wasn't even really in existence when Iron Maiden first came out.
I take it you mean it evolved from thrash. Yeah, I agree. So did death metal. Thrash evolved getting heavier for death metal, and evolved getting softer and more melodic for power metal. Power metal actually has some cool guitar work, but for some reason those multi voice vocal harmonies (and even sometimes the single voice operatic vocals) turn me off to the genre. I don't really think that Bruce Dickinson has a power metal voice, and when Iron Maiden do vocal harmonies, it actually sounds pretty good, like on that song Can I Play With Madness. IMO Iron Maiden would sound even better if they would have had a heavier guitar sound back then.

I've always considered them slightly power metal. Operatic vocals, their lyrical themes and just their overall playing style.

When i told him I was watching Iron Maiden that night, this fool at college made a disgusted face, and called them a "medieval" band. I first thought he was referring to their age, in which case I would have lectured him for ages, but I think it was simply some ignorant idea that maiden just sing about dragons and swords...etc.

He said "they're just like blind guardian" he meant the lyrical themes I think - for a start, I was somewhat surprised that he had heard blind guardian, and secondly from what I hear about Blind Guardian they're not particularly similar to Maiden!

Ignorant fool!

IMO Blind Guardian don't sound much like Iron Maiden. They are pure power metal (though some say their older material was more speed metal), and for some reason I think that their music sounds decidedly happier than Maiden. For some reason I can't get into Blind Guardian, but I like Iron Maiden.