power metal bands that stand above the rest

Esteban said:
Interesting choices...

- Helloween was great when they had Hansen and Kiske, the Keepers are power metal bibles; however after that they became and enyojable but average band.

- I like Angra but hate Andre Matos' voice, great change of singer, Rebirth is a great album, I expect great things from them.

All helloween albums are pretty good, IMO.

About Angra... I totally disagree! I think Rebirth is, by far, their worst album to date.
I mean, it is so generic... It's Ok (bad Angra is still better than 90% of the power metal bands..lol), but I'd rather listen to the old albums. I mean, they are so fucking original.. Holy Land is one of my favorite albums EVER.
But I understand why you like it so much, based on the bands you selected on your post....

Andre Matos is a great singer! but that's a matter of taste... A lot of people aren't into his vocals...

YES!! Dragonland is one of my favorites!! I also love Heavenly but they are taking forever to get their next album out. :ill:

Seems that everyone loves Blind Guardian. and trust me, I understand why.

NocturnalSun said:
CoB shouldn't be defined as power metal or melodic death metal. Melodic death metal would be In Flames-ish things. And look at power metal bands such as Stormwarrior, Nightwish, Hammerfall and such and then look at CoB. I see no relation at all. CoB I think are in a league of their own. You can't really label them power metal, death metal, thrash metal, melodic death metal, or doom metal or anything like that.
That's true, and that's the reason why it's so hard to find bands that sound like CoB. Follow the Reaper has to be one of the best albums in the history of metal.

C'mon people, Dickinson has an awesome voice, the best ever in my book, great on the low tones, can reach very high without losing any power, he's just impressive to hear, he can sing anything. Russell Allen is the only guy who gets a little close to the greatness of Dickinson IMO