power metal bands that stand above the rest

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
I really like power metal, but most bands I've heard recently sound exactly the same, so tell me about power metal bands you think are superior... so far I can think of:

- Gamma Ray
- Virgin Steele
- Lost Horizon
- Kamelot

I used to love rhapsody, but after 4 albums that sound exactly the same I'm a bit dissapointed...there's also Elvenking, I think these guys have a future. Stratovarius, Hammerfall (though I do like Legacy of Kings), Edguy, Heavenly,Human Fortress, etc... same stuff, nothing special. I'm gonna check Freedom Call and Galloglass soon, but I have no high hopes about them.

blind guardian is by far my favorite power metal band. other notable mentions:
MANOWAR
labyrinth
grave digger
symphomy x
machine called man
~gR~

I am not a big power metal fan, but there is one power metal band I REALLY like. That band is Angra (duh).
Angels Cry and Holy Land (not exactly power) are the 2 best albums of the genre, IMO. No other band even come close. Conception being the exception, if you consider them to be power metal in any way.

Id say Helloween are the best- as everyone seems to have done little more than copy them- although a few bands are pretty good and original ie- Angra, Symphony X, Conception, Vanden Plas.

Yeah Angra is cool, I got that song Carry On for free fromt heir site and it kicks ass. But yeah, Blind Guardian and Symphony X are the ultimate, hands down. Iced Earth if you wanna consider them power metal too.

Among the bands already mentioned, Stormwarrior, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Lost Horizon, Symphony X, Edguy, Angra, Gamma Ray, Virgin Steele, and Grave Digger all deserve to be at least checked out.

For me, it's HELLOWEEN above all!!! Then the mighty, but underrated Running Wild, the also underrated American power metallers Jag Panzer, the grand Blind Guardian and the dreamy Nightwish.

CoB are power Metal?? 0_o

As for my favorites, Helloween, Blind Guardian, and Angra, definately. Also Symphony X and Iced Earth if you really concider them power metal. Stratovarius and Jag Panzer are great too.

Interesting choices...

- Helloween was great when they had Hansen and Kiske, the Keepers are power metal bibles; however after that they became and enyojable but average band.

- Never heard of Stormwarrior, gotta check them out.

- Symphony X is my second favorite band, and Michael Romeo my favorite guitar player, I wouldn't call them power metal, they're more prog than power IMO.

- Blind Guardian I only like Nightfall in Middle Earth, their older material... is not that good IMO

- I like Angra but hate Andre Matos' voice, great change of singer, Rebirth is a great album, I expect great things from them.

- Nightwish is ok, but sometimes the vocals are a bit too much, I love Oceanborn and wish they return to that fast style and forget about the growls and slow heavy tunes.

- Children of Bodom and Sinergy kick ass, great bands, Laiho is my second favorite guitar player, wouldn't call them power metal though