Power Metal..?

I'm not a fan of power metal but I know some power metal freaks, besides bands already listed I would have to add:

Steel Attack
Firewine
I would consider Sinergy as well
Watch out there is an extreme amount of gay power metal.

Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Nevermore
King Diamond/Mercyful Fate (are they/he really considered power metal?)
Sinergy
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Avantasia
Symphony X
Falconer
Dream Evil

I just listened to my copy of Omega Conspiracy today and it definately has alot of power metal sounding riffs and melodies on it. Then again, I haven't really heard any of their older stuff, and it is one of their more recent albums.

Scythes of Vengeance said:
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Nevermore
King Diamond/Mercyful Fate (are they/he really considered power metal?)
Sinergy
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Avantasia
Symphony X
Falconer
Dream Evil
I wouldn't call Nevermore power metal. I guess the reason some people label them as power metal is because Warrel Dane was in the power metal band Sanctuary.

You can hear a lot of Sanctuary in Nevermore. They're power-thrash.

And all of my fave power bands have been listed already.

Nebulous said:
By far my favourite Power metal band that has not been posted here is HEAVENLY!! Fucking RAWK. Get either Sign of the winner, or the new one, Dust to Dust.

Daniel \m/

you are correct. before you get anything get Heavenly - Dust to dust. best cd of the year imo.

oh and check out Dragonland!

Power metal rules. I am a huge fan of this genre of metal. The following are what I consider to be some of the best/most influential power metal bands as well as just awesome new comers as well....

This first grouping is the bands who are the leaders of the genre also some of the most influential and first power metal bands...

Helloween, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Rage, Sinner, Iced Earth, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian

Next are the bands who arent necesarily new comers but are on their way to become power metal legends...

EDGUY, Nightwish, Primal Fear, Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Kamelot, Seven Witches, Symphony X (prog/power), Children Of Bodom (power metal/extreme deathy vocals).

Next are just some great bands who are on their way as well but still at the bottom of the rung but far from being a bad/not so good band, all excellent...

Dream Evil, Firewind, Cage, Zandelle, Thunderstone, Steel Attack, Pegazus, Nocturnal Rites, Secret Sphere, Chinchilla, Dionysus, Metalium.

This is a very over populated category and I feel I covered all the the important/good bands of course I left some out though but there are another 50-100 power metal bands I can name off the top of my head who arent quite worthy of being mentioned with these bands. You have to weed out the good from the bad.

I do wish this music would get more exposure in America and it is indeed starting to pick up. Evergrey/Children Of Bodom/Iced Earth have a sold out show lined p April 29 in NYC. Evergrey is going to host Headbangers Ball next week. Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Primal Fear, and Symphony X have all played here over the last two years and gotten great responces. Grave Digger, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Kamelot, Edguy, Primal Fear, Seven Witches, will all be playing fests in America this year as well as Nightwish touring here. So things are starting to pick up. MTV and radio just need to get on the ball before the balls bounces over them.

The new Edguy album Hellfire Club which just came out last week is one of the greatest heavy metal albums I have ever heard in my life and I feel not another album this year will touch it.

I think Angra is (was?) the best power metal band around... I mean, Angels Cry and Holy Land are two masterpieces... They are/were really unique (what is pretty rare for a power metal band)... Their more recent stuff is kinda standard, IMO...

I am not a big power metal fan, but Angra is one of my favorite bands, of any genre..

SEVEN WITCHES!!! Been really lovin them reacently. All there albums are fuckin ace but Xiled to infinity and one is probabli the best!!!

I agree that edguy's new album is a master piece.

Nobady has mentioned WIZARD!!!! they be so good!!!!

But Elven king are the best all roound and I cant wait to hear the new stuff by them. It will set new standards for times to come.