power metal bands that stand above the rest

I don't know if I'd call Iced Earth power metal, but I'll list them just in case anyone is willing to debate if they are or are not. Either way they're one of my favorite bands.

Esteban said:
- Nightwish is ok, but sometimes the vocals are a bit too much, I love Oceanborn and wish they return to that fast style and forget about the growls and slow heavy tunes.
Well, Tuomas wrote Century Child in a sad and angry mood. These times
are gone (according to him) so I expect a more "happier" :) album.
Their new DVD is very good.

Corrections:

The following bands are not power metal:
Children of Bodom
Symphony X

The following bands are lame:
Hammerfall
Kamelot
Dream Evil
Freedom Call

that is all...

NocturnalSun said:
COB are definitely NOT power metal. They may seem it at times, but the chord progression for the guitars is most definitely more death metalish. Also, Alexi's vocalwork is far from the power metal genre of vocals.
A lot of the riffs are power metallish, and the keyboards are a further power metalish feature to the music. The only thing that is not power metalish is the vocals, which is a good thing in my opinion, since I am not very fond of power metal vocals. If CoB arem't power metal, then what are they? They certainly aren't death metal, and they aren't really thrash either.

Life Sucks said:
A lot of the riffs are power metallish, and the keyboards are a further power metalish feature to the music. The only thing that is not power metalish is the vocals, which is a good thing in my opinion, since I am not very fond of power metal vocals. If CoB arem't power metal, then what are they? They certainly aren't death metal, and they aren't really thrash either.
If you wanted to get super technical with the sub-genres then I'd call them something around the lines of Melodic Death Metal, or something. I'm not even sure how to say it, as I think sub-catagorizing after sub-catagorizing gets very stupid.

Rottuated said:
If you wanted to get super technical with the sub-genres then I'd call them something around the lines of Melodic Death Metal, or something. I'm not even sure how to say it, as I think sub-catagorizing after sub-catagorizing gets very stupid.
Hmm. Death metal? I see no death metal in their music. I guess opinions differ. Whatever, I guess I don't like any power metal then.

I like power metal, the guitarrs and crap but the singing is just annoying, such as iron maiden i would love them but there singing scares me away, which is why I like CoB its basicly power metal but not power metal vocals

CoB shouldn't be defined as power metal or melodic death metal. Melodic death metal would be In Flames-ish things. And look at power metal bands such as Stormwarrior, Nightwish, Hammerfall and such and then look at CoB. I see no relation at all. CoB I think are in a league of their own. You can't really label them power metal, death metal, thrash metal, melodic death metal, or doom metal or anything like that.

MetalHead666999 said:
I like power metal, the guitarrs and crap but the singing is just annoying, such as iron maiden i would love them but there singing scares me away, which is why I like CoB its basicly power metal but not power metal vocals
I feel the same way. But Bruce Dickinson does not sound like a typical power metal singer to me, and he is ok in my book. Nor do I consider Iron Maiden power metal; they are traditional metal IMO. I can't stand the vocals for bands like Rhapsody, Luca Trulli, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Helloween, etc.. What really irritates me most about power metal vocals is the frequent use of multi voice harmonies. I hate the way that sounds.*cringes* And yeah, I really think that CoB are power metal with harsh vocals, especially the latest CD Hatecrew Deathtroll.

Bruce Dickinson is one of the best metal singers of all time.

I don´t like those power metal singers who seem to have lost their
testicles in their youth...

Moshpit said:
Bruce Dickinson is one of the best metal singers of all time.

I don´t like those power metal singers who seem to have lost their
testicles in their youth...

Then you should love Symphony X and Iced Earth vocals...

Hansen era Helloween will always be the ultimate power metal to me, as they were the first power metal band I descovered. If you call them PM then Running Wild as well, who are an amazing band. Plus loads of others that have already been mentioned.